Wiki fracture care

Cindy711

Contributor
Best answers
I am working a hand suregon account. Does anybody have any easy explanation regarding when to bill a global fx care code versus an E&M code w/ xrays?

I'd apprecite it. Thanks, Cindy

Hi Cindy,

When I joined the ortho practice I am currently with, they would rarely bill for fracture care. They thought that they were making more money by billing out the office visits. I did a 3 month audit without saying anything to them and then presented the results ($$$$) and proved them wrong. It turned out that it was in our best interest to bill for the fracture care rather than E/M codes.

Hope this helps

HI AGAIN. pEOPLE IN MY OFFICE ARE STILL DISPUTING WHETHER OR NOT YOU CAN BILL A NON-MANIPULATIVE FRACTURE W/ A e&m SERVICE(WITH DECISION FOR SURGERY MOD) AND FRACTURE CARE CODE FOR THE FIRST VISIT -- wHAT DO YOU THINk?

I just read an article this morning in the April 2008 issue of Orthopedic Coders Pink Sheet that deals with this. Does your office subscribe to this? If not I could get the info to you.
Cathy

I do not have acces to the Coders Pink sheet and also have confusion as to how to code non-manipulative fracture care with a new patient visit. Can you forward me this information. My email address is hsmith@shch.org or my fax# is 269-639-2825. Thank you. Heather