Wiki General DX - Expectant Mothers

JCaillouet

Networker
Best answers
Hello

My apologies for posting this if this is in the wrong forum:

Recently where I work at, the providers are wishing to use the following Diagnosis Code: O00.01 Abdominal pregnancy with intrauterine pregnancy to cover any and all expectant mothers who report for L&D purposes with O82 or O80 as a secondary diagnosis to reflect either C-Section or Vaginal Delivery.

This is triggering a warning flag but I can't quite place why

Is there supporting documents to either support the provider's request or point out where this is considered a proverbial -no-no-?

- Expectant Mothers

Hello JCaillouet,

Your providers are using the incorrect DX code as O00.01 is an ectopic pregnancy DX. The abdominal pregnancy is the ectopic with intrauterine pregnancy. Since the patients are presenting to L&D for c-sections and vaginal deliveries using this DX code is wrong. Dx code O80 is always the principal diagnosis so that should always be the first DX listed on patients admitted for a full-term normal delivery and delivers a single, healthy infant without any complications antepartum, during delivery or postpartum during the delivery episode. DX O82 should be used as a rare occurrence, as the majority of c-sections are performed for an indication/ reason (breech, etc...). I would suggest that someone needs to educate the providers on OB delivery ICD-10 diagnosis coding, maybe ACOG has some information on this?

Hope this helps clarify~

M.Hannus, CPC, CPMA, CRC

It helps but I need clear documentation because the providers are 'refusing to budge' without backup documentation.