Wiki Hands-ITC Arthroplasty & Traction Release

annr420

Best answers
Does anyone know what "ITC Arthroplasty (hand) is? I suspect this is actually some kind of graft??? And how to code for "Traction contracture release, PIP joint"?
Many thanks in advance...

OP Note

I am at my other job now, however I will post it as soon as I get home this evening. Also, do you know of any good reference books or any other media to assist with coding for Hand Surgery? I have only been doing this for about 6 months and sometimes it drives me crazy...

Can't Upload Op Report

I am not able to upload the actual report, but the last paragraph reads:
"Thereupon, we proceeded to apply traction and tenolysis, releasing the joint contractures of the proximal phalangeal joint with improved excursion of the PIP joint of the middle finger and performed a similar action with the ring finger. The patient was awakened: she tolerated the procedure well and was sent to the recovery room."
Under "OPERATION" the procedure is listed as:
"Traction contracture release of the left ring finger of the PIP joint" and "Traction contracture release of the left middle finger PIP joint."

It does - sort of - but he usually calls a trigger finger release an "A1 Pulley release" or "Trigger finger release"... and states "trigger finger" in the dx. In this case in the dx he says "contracture PIP joint" which would be a 28272, I believe, but the narrative does not describe either 26055 or 28272.

After reflecting on your input Mary, I decided to code it as a 26055. Sometimes it helps so much just to have someone else look at the problem and give their feedback - especially after you've been staring at it your self for a few hours :)
Thanks again,
Ann