Wiki Heent

Gemini18

Expert
Best answers
Ok, Now I know I am not the BEST coder out there -- BUT.....

It was bought to my attention that when we see HEENT, we break it up like this Head, Eyes, Ears, Nose and Throat (okay -- I agree)

Now -- if we see it in the ROS, we can only give 1 credit for ENM&T

If we see it in the EXAM, it counts as three Head, Eyes and ENM&T.

We just had a meeting on this an hour ago, I sat there STUMPED!!!! Now, I know how to code and thought I new the basics -- Are you kidding me?

We use the 97 guidelines here and I am just speechless...............

Well, if I see a ROS "HEENT-no complaints" I would give credit for 2 systems, eyes and ent. Head isn't a recogonized ros under 97 guidelines, and I don't feel comfortable giving credit for MS based on that statement. You really need to be more specific because "no complaints" regarding your head could be many things in different systems.

So I guess I'm not sure what you are stumped over. Maybe I'm missing the forrest for the trees.

Laura, CPC, CEMC

If you're asking if we give credit for the areas that HEENT covers, using the 97 guidelines...I don't (speaking of the exam area). Some carriers will not allow credit for this statement ---> "HEENT normal". The question always arises, "what system in HEENT did the physician exam". One can not assume that the physician examined all these areas. This is my opinion....

Laura - no you are not missing anything....

I was just stating about the meeting I had today at work, the person who gave this meeting didn't even speak about the guidelines are anything....I just found it funny and strange (I should have stated that in my original message -- I apologize). I had asked to which guidelines were she referring to and she said both.

I know each guideline have there differences and things but.....ok. I keep asking questions and noticed she was getting a little annoyed with me, so I just excused myself from the meeting.

That's all. Hi Rebecca.