Wiki Help! Cannot find coding jobs!

Best answers
I have passed my Cpc exam coming up on 2 yrs this December, and have not been able to find a job in any aspect of the medical field let alone a coding job in a physicians office. I live in Southern California, and I am constantly buying the paper everyday and looking online for positions ANY positions within the medical field. If anyone can offer some advice as wear to look it sure would be appreciated. Thanks

Coding positions

I passed my exam in October of 2011 and I am still looking too. I have gotten a few calls back but I also have the billing, claims and collections experience, even with that employers would like for someone to have that hands on coding experience. My suggestion would be to volunteer your time, contact local hospitals in your area they often have internships. If you went from another field into medical/coding it is going to take sometime for physicians /facilities to even consider hiring you. With that said be patient and consider volunteering...

Cannot find coding job

I have passed my Cpc exam coming up on 2 yrs this December, and have not been able to find a job in any aspect of the medical field let alone a coding job in a physicians office. I live in Southern California, and I am constantly buying the paper everyday and looking online for positions ANY positions within the medical field. If anyone can offer some advice as wear to look it sure would be appreciated. Thanks

Have you looked on the Contexo site? Someone at work looked at it yesterday and saw there were about 1200 jobs advertised (not all coding obviously).
Good luck.

Try these sites: Dig4Jobs.com and Jobseeker.com. I have used key words like: Coder, Medical records Tech and Clerk. They usually pull up various jobs for medical positions. Of course you will need to put in your state, city, zip to narrow down the search regions.
Hope this helps.....

Me too...

I passed in September of 2010. I've had many interviews, but no luck. I saw a posting for a CPC-A type job in New Hampshire, but it's only PER DIEM. I need to earn money and I can't do anything less than FULL TIME. Are there any FULL TIME coding jobs for us?

:confused:

Can't volunteer time...

They don't work at night and weekends. That's my Catch 22. How do you get experience, if no one will hire you, because of your LACK of experience.

Hi I applied couple of places for coding job but everyone wants experienced coder. If no one gives new coder opportunities, how new coders get job. Any suggestions to get job for new coders!

Hello,
anyone know any place thats hiring for a coder near Sacramento,CA? without experience..
I have my CPC-A, and CCS from Ahima. I work at Urgent Care front desk, but desperate to start a coding job.
Been applying everywhere... not a single call (

I always tell people to get their foot in the door at hospitals as Patient Service Representatives or Associates. Its basically scheduling and messaging for doctors and nurses on a PC and phones. They train you- just be able to type and stay patient with patients. ;) Also Billing/AR Reps or Rev Cycle staff jobs are good and pay a bit more - JUST KEEP APPLYING even if you don't meet all the qualifications! Even retail or any customer service experience helps for the PSR positions because hospital call centers are always hiring- esp. in the larger cities or teaching or University hospitals. Its entry level so people are constantly moving on! Then after awhile you could try asking around re. Coding or Billing - or maybe their supervisor or HR might let you help out or maybe train on your own time if you tell them you're certified looking for coding experience? Either way they're more likely to hire internally and even train a certified coder if they know your job history and see any internal references you have in your personnel file there already. Thats how I got my first Coding position- on a referral from a doctor I scheduled for at the hospital. I know many hospital employees who had to apply DOZENS of times- and if you know someone on the inside, ask them if you can list their name as a referral when applying online -or maybe knows the hiring manager in a call center dept. Just keep trying and be confident, enthusiastic and smile if you get an interview. :) Entry level starts at around $17-18 per hr generally (depending on where you live) but that will increase over time esp. if you get a Billing or Coding position -by a few dollars per hr at least. They'll tell YOU the rate if they're interested- so I always say OPEN on the online form if asked. As for current job postings Online, recently I've seen some stuff. I haven't read great things but Change Healthcare at times hires CPC's with little to no experience including CPC-A's for HCC Coding and its Remote. Temp agencies also may. I know one agency Insight Global in the Philly/South Jersey area does. Also OS2U.org is another option- look under Apprenticeships - also found a recent Indeed post for a paid apprenticeship there. Good luck! :)

Last edited:
Hi Nataliya, Dignity Health will hire coders straight out of school. On job boards, watch for "Coder 1", will have location of Rancho Cordova (Data Drive Office). These are 100% remote positions (after training), and I believe they start at approximately $20/h (could have changed since last I heard). I am a current coder at Dignity. :)