Wiki Help! New to ortho coding

Best answers
I am new to ortho coding and have been given a stack of surgeries to code. Can someone just let me know if I'm on the right track here? Thanks.

From the Op Report:
PROCEDURES PERFORMED: 1. Arthroscopic medial meniscus repair.
2. Hardware removal (deep) from the right tibia. 3. Revision, ACL reconstruction using an allograft bone-tendon-bone graft.

These are the codes I am thinking of using:
27427 -RT
29882 -59-RT (surgery done prior to new X- modifiers)

Let me know if more info is needed, all feedback greatly appreciated.

:confused:

Last edited:
Without an OP note, I can only assume what you are stating, without any specifics of dictation.
First off...there is no revision code for arthroscopic ACL reconstruction...I have come across this many times, and queried 3M as to correct coding for this. Their recommendation 29888.
29882 is correct for arthroscopic meniscus repair
Removal hardware from tibia (deep) - 20680 (open)
According to the 3M encoder, no modifier is necessary in any of these procedures, other than LT or RT for the arthroscopic procedures

In summary: 29888,XX, 29882,XX, 20680

Ortho takes a lot of practice, and even then can be very confusing.:

Without an OP note, I can only assume what you are stating, without any specifics of dictation.
First off...there is no revision code for arthroscopic ACL reconstruction...I have come across this many times, and queried 3M as to correct coding for this. Their recommendation 29888.
29882 is correct for arthroscopic meniscus repair
Removal hardware from tibia (deep) - 20680 (open)
According to the 3M encoder, no modifier is necessary in any of these procedures, other than LT or RT for the arthroscopic procedures

In summary: 29888,XX, 29882,XX, 20680

Ortho takes a lot of practice, and even then can be very confusing.:
Actually we have no way of knowing if the ACL reconstruction is open or arthroscopic. One of my docs does meniscal repairs/meniscectomies through a scope, then does the ACL open which is 27428 (intra-articular). It is not uncommon for revision ACL's to be difficult so the use of a modifier 22 may be justified if the documentation supports it.
29882 and 20680 are correct for the other codes.