Wiki Help Please

Gemini18

Expert
Best answers
I have a physician working NS that had to be recalled to attend to 2 patients that were admitted yesterday by another physician. He informed me this morning to let me know the circumstances of both cases. He is not sure how to bill (what modifier to use) as he did have to re-examine both patients, have additional tests performed, review their cases, etc.

Modifiers 24 & 25 are for the same physicians seeing the patient multiple times, does this include the group of physicians? Which modifier could I use? Would the modifier go on both charges?

I am not entirely certain I understand. Tell me if this is correct. You have multiple physicians in your group, and one of them admitted 2 patients and now your physician has seen both patients again. So are both physicians in the same specialty? were both visits to each patient on the same day as the admission?

Help

I am not entirely certain I understand. Tell me if this is correct. You have multiple physicians in your group, and one of them admitted 2 patients and now your physician has seen both patients again. So are both physicians in the same specialty? were both visits to each patient on the same day as the admission?

Hi Debra -

Our physician (Dr. S) admitted 2 patients on Dec. 28th; Another physician (Dr. B.) was recalled to visit the same two patients late in the evening due to additional problems; issues and complaints. I know I cannot bill twice on the same DOS, but the patients were admitted by one physician then another physician (our service) had to go back and re-examine, re-test, etc -- the same two patients for other problems on the same DOS.

This is due to the circumstances for each of the patients. How would I bill this?

Thanks

IMO, if they are the same specialty, then add all the documentation together and bill one appropriate E/M. If they happened to document the time, you can add prolonged services.

I am in agree with this, add it all up and bill one code I will add you MIGHT be able to append prolonged time but only if total time spent is documented. And since it is inpatient then floor time will count as well.

I am in agree with this, add it all up and bill one code I will add you MIGHT be able to append prolonged time but only if total time spent is documented. And since it is inpatient then floor time will count as well.

Thank you so much! This was a bit confusing.:)

Have a Happy New Year!