Wiki Help with coding a discontinued procedure

todd5400

Best answers
The right common femoral artery was difficult to palpate as well as the left using a micropuncture technique, the right common femoral artery was accessed, dilated to a 5 French sheath. The catheter would not thread into the abdominal aorta. A very tight stenosis at the terminal aorta was suspected. Using micropuncture technique, the left common femoral artery was accessed and this met with similar difficulty with just a microwire. Giving these findings and the nonemergent nature of the procedure it was thought best to abandon the procedure at this point and to proceed with a CT angiogram.

Thanks

I'm a little unsure what you're needing but it seems like you are asking for ways to report the procedure since it was terminated.. disregard if that's not the case.

I would still use the appropriate CPT codes for the procedures and assigned diagnosis codes accordingly but would use modifier 53 (discontinued procedure) to signify to the payer that the procedure was terminated.

Depending on the practice you work for you may even have a process for no-billing the claim for procedures that are cancelled or not completed. If you are not a biller yourself and just do the coding (some coders do both) I would ask a biller within your company how they bill procedures that are not completed. You might get more info than you need but that can be a good thing for it you come across this again. Hope this helps.

I'm a little unsure what you're needing but it seems like you are asking for ways to report the procedure since it was terminated.. disregard if that's not the case.

I would still use the appropriate CPT codes for the procedures and assigned diagnosis codes accordingly but would use modifier 53 (discontinued procedure) to signify to the payer that the procedure was terminated.

Depending on the practice you work for you may even have a process for no-billing the claim for procedures that are cancelled or not completed. If you are not a biller yourself and just do the coding (some coders do both) I would ask a biller within your company how they bill procedures that are not completed. You might get more info than you need but that can be a good thing for it you come across this again. Hope this helps.

I'm agree with nestes- you can code CPT 36140 with 53 modifiers:)