Wiki how do you become medical biller

ankitee

Best answers
I would like to know how to become a medical billing staff. I know the overview but I am interested in knowing the drill for becoming a medical biller. I believe the KRAs of a biller are preparing invoices, coding, and sending bills to the concerned person.
Also, please help me with the educational degree eligibility, certification and prior experience for a career in medical billing industry?

The requirements will be different for each office as well as the type of provider; inpatient, outpatient, physician, lab, etc. Overall a complete grasp of coding, insurance carriers policies, billing forms, contracts, fair debt practices, appeals, etc, are what most offices are looking for. From AAPC you can get your CPB as a certified professional biller which is a good foundation. There are trade schools that offer classes/certification programs but these can be costly and not always helpful.

Often times we look for experience, which can mean starting off in another part of the office to gain experience....registration, clerical support, etc.

Check with offices in your area that you would be interested to work at to see what requirements they are specifically looking for. Good Luck! Billing is a great field!