Wiki How is the CPC exam weighted?

ediepierre

Networker
Best answers
I just took the AAPC CPC certification exam and failed. I got a 67%. They give a breakdown of each section and how you did percentage-wise. What I want to know is how each section is weighted? If I got a 37% in anesthesia...what is that out of? :confused:

I know that years ago the test was split into sections and you had to get a minimum of 70% on each section to pass. That is not the case now. When I took the test a year ago, I had to get a minimum of 70% on the entire test to pass, regardless of the sections. I don't think any particular section is "weighted". That is my understanding anyway. Good luck!

There has to be something to find out where your weaknesses are. For example, here are the score for the different sections of the exam:

50%
37%
60%
50%
60%
30%
50%

Now, in order to find out where my weakness is how do I do that? I know it's not 30% out of 100% because there is now way I would have missed passing the exam by 3% if that was the case. There has to be a percentage for each section.

It's been 3 years (almost to the day) since I took the CPC. I seem to recall that each category had around 10-12 questions. So if you got 37% in anesthesia you missed about 7 or 8 questions (assuming 12 questions).

You scored 67% overall, which means you got 100 questions correct. A passing score is 105 questions correct. In other words you missed passing by 5 questions. You are not that far off. Unless you are going to be coding anesthesia, I would not be that concerned with this section. If you focus on all other aspects of the exam you should be able to improve by 5 questions. How did you do on E&M? How about terminology? These are areas that you will need to know just about everyday in your coding career.

Good luck

Last edited:
Thank you for clarifying ...it helps. Here are my scores:

10000 Series: (Your Score: 50%)
Anesthesia: (Your Score: 37%)
Compliance and Regulatory: (Your Score: 60%)
E/M: (Your Score: 50%)
HCPCS: (Your Score: 60%)
ICD-9-CM: (Your Score: 30%)
Med Term: (Your Score: 50%)

It just hard to know where my weakness is.

Thanks again for all your help!

Since these scores only represent part of the exam, these sections are obviously considered your weak areas because all the scores are well under 70%.

They are telling you to learn these particular areas in order to pass. Your other sections achieved a passing grade, and these 7 achieved an average score of 48%. ICD-9 is the obvious area to concentrate on initially, and anesthesia is not a big section but easy to get 100% on if you understand the rules and modifiers. If you want any advice on the anesthesia just send a PM and I will help.

Good luck

There has to be something to find out where your weaknesses are. For example, here are the score for the different sections of the exam:

50%
37%
60%
50%
60%
30%
50%

Now, in order to find out where my weakness is how do I do that? I know it's not 30% out of 100% because there is now way I would have missed passing the exam by 3% if that was the case. There has to be a percentage for each section.
How to find the scores for each section? I'm already done with the exam.

How to find these scores for each section?