Wiki How to add new diagnosis codes for the ICD10 manual ?

TThivierge

True Blue
Best answers
Hi Everyone,
I wrote a letter to the WHO and AMA agencies a few years ago asking to add a Cough diagnosis for use for children or young teens. Of course I got no reply. However I think the illness symptom of Cough for specifically children would be a great addition. I have some other diagnosis codes I think the WHO and AMA agencies should update the disease manual with the following. such as : support animals for mental behavioral health ill patients set up as Z dx. code, or bilateral pain code for extremities of legs, hands, arms, instead of listing each dx. code for painful limbs or extremities. Also having a specific location on the body dx. for skin rashes, or edema be better too I feel instead of just plain old dx. R60, dx. L85 or dx. L30. Does anyone agree with my thinking or a waste of time to contact these agencies again?

Lady T:cool:

Are you aware that ICD-11 is coming? It is really interesting. If you haven't read or heard about it, check AAPC monthly magazine for August.

Hi Everyone,
I wrote a letter to the WHO and AMA agencies a few years ago asking to add a Cough diagnosis for use for children or young teens. Of course I got no reply. However I think the illness symptom of Cough for specifically children would be a great addition. I have some other diagnosis codes I think the WHO and AMA agencies should update the disease manual with the following. such as : support animals for mental behavioral health ill patients set up as Z dx. code, or bilateral pain code for extremities of legs, hands, arms, instead of listing each dx. code for painful limbs or extremities. Also having a specific location on the body dx. for skin rashes, or edema be better too I feel instead of just plain old dx. R60, dx. L85 or dx. L30. Does anyone agree with my thinking or a waste of time to contact these agencies again?

Lady T:cool:

There is a process for submitting proposals for changes or additions to ICD-10, which you can find at the link below, so I don't think it would be sufficient to just write a letter - you'd need to go through a formal submission to be given consideration:

As indicated in the link, if you are serious about getting a code adding, you would need to make the proposal and present a rationale and supporting literature to show why the code is needed. If you take a look at this second link below, you can look at some of the proposals that were reviewed at the most recent meeting. As you read through these, you'll see that many of the proposals are requested or supported by national professional societies. Changing or adding codes is a pretty substantial undertaking, so I imagine there needs to be a demonstrated clinical rationale, research need, or cost of care implication to back up any proposal that would be given serious consideration.

Last edited:
Hi
Thank you everyone for responding back. It is interesting to know that "cough" symptom for a child or teen has been submitted. I guess I just trying to be too detailed in assisting the physicians and clinical providers knowledge to "think on ink" in more ways to help diagnosis the ill. I shall let the associations handle the request for revisions to the AMA and the WHO.
:)
Lady T

Last edited: