Wiki How to find an apprenticeship?

casy0909

Best answers
Can anyone point me toward a site (either on AAPC or elsewhere) where I might start searching for apprenticeships in coding? I don't think I'm going to find a paying job without having experience, so I'm hoping to find an apprenticeship. Thanks.

Practicode counts by AAPC toward removing the -A. I do not know of any hiring manager who would count Practicode as on the job experience. I personally would consider it part of training.

AAPC has Project Xtern to help you match to an apprenticeship. I will note since we are in a public health emergency that many sites who might normally take an extern are not willing/able to do so now. It's under the "Resources" tab https://www.aapc.com/medical-coding-jobs/project-xtern/

Another option is to contact local offices, facilities, etc. and offer your services. Again, tricky during current times, but many employers will gladly take free labor.

My personal opinion for someone who is a CPC-A and never worked in a healthcare setting is to find any administrative job in a healthcare setting to get your foot in the door. Learning the computer systems and being an internal transfer can certainly make you stand out when applying for a coding position down the road.