Wiki How to get hired as an Inpatient coder..any advice?

Coder019

New
Best answers
Hello,

I am currently working as a coder for an orthopedic group..coding consults, surgeries etc.( 2 yrs exp. and CPC)
Is there any way to get hired as an Inpatient coder...even with such transferable skills, I'm having no luck..can any Inpatient coders please give me some advice?
Thanks so much

Getting hired an an inpatient coder

Hello,

I am currently working as a coder for an orthopedic group..coding consults, surgeries etc.( 2 yrs exp. and CPC)
Is there any way to get hired as an Inpatient coder...even with such transferable skills, I'm having no luck..can any Inpatient coders please give me some advice?
Thanks so much

Inpatient coding is so different to Profee coding so it would not be accurate to say your skills are transferable. Are you competent in ICD-10-PCS coding which is entirely different to CPT coding?

A different skill set is needed for inpatient coding and to get a job you will almost certainly need either a CCS or CIC certification with CCS being the one preferred by facilities. Then there is that dreaded requirement 'experience'.

I am not an inpatient coder but I do understand how it differs from Profee coding. I am making the assumption that you are thinking of 'inpatient coding' as coding for a facility as opposed to doing Profee coding for a providers hospital services. Two entirely different concepts.

Good luck.

I am currently an inpatient coder, I honestly had no experience when i got hired, I only knew how to do outpatient coding, but when I got hired on my first day they told me they were short staff on inpatient and that my knowledge in multi-specialty coding was a good fit. I had no idea the difference between inpatient and outpatient, definitely a different monster to master.

I've been doing it now for 4 years, i even when and got CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) on my own and I enjoy more inpatient than outpatient. I just recently got my CCS as well.

Just like twizzle stated, it is definitely not something you can transfer from skills, but depending on what the employer is looking there might be someone willing to give an opportunity to an outpatient coder out there. Inpatient coders are much difficult to find so employers are aware they will need to get outpatient coders and train them.

Hope this helps!

I am currently an inpatient coder, I honestly had no experience when i got hired, I only knew how to do outpatient coding, but when I got hired on my first day they told me they were short staff on inpatient and that my knowledge in multi-specialty coding was a good fit. I had no idea the difference between inpatient and outpatient, definitely a different monster to master.

I've been doing it now for 4 years, i even when and got CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) on my own and I enjoy more inpatient than outpatient. I just recently got my CCS as well.

Just like twizzle stated, it is definitely not something you can transfer from skills, but depending on what the employer is looking there might be someone willing to give an opportunity to an outpatient coder out there. Inpatient coders are much difficult to find so employers are aware they will need to get outpatient coders and train them.

Hope this helps!
Considering your experience I am looking for tools for coding/auditing of hospital revenue codes. I'm not a hospital coder but would like to share the information with someone at my local Chapter who has recently received a hospital coding position. Thanks in advance.

Considering your experience I am looking for tools for coding/auditing of hospital revenue codes. I'm not a hospital coder but would like to share the information with someone at my local Chapter who has recently received a hospital coding position. Thanks in advance.
Hello!
so you are in need of tools for revenue codes, or more for the coding of inpatient (ICD-10-PCS)?
please let me know.

thanks!

I would love to get access to tools for Revenue codes and inpatient coding. If anyone has those available. I am interested in a inpatient job and would love any extra information. They do inpatient detox.

Thanks

Aaron

How do you get your foot in the door. Most hospitals advertise coder ancillary positions. And that offers employment pre certification as long as you are in an accredited program such as aapc and become certified within the required 2yrs. But when I apply for the positions I still get turned down. Why is that 🤷‍♂️