Wiki how to handle?

coder in mo

Contributor
Best answers
I've been told by my practice manager to "code how we've been told & there shouldn't be any question about it?" I have backed up my argument with guidelines, and other sources supporting it, they still don't want to listen to what a CPC has to say. Has anyone else had his problem? If so, exactly how do you react to that? My feelings are if you want to tell someone to code than don't bother hiring certified coders.

Last edited:
How to code

I agree with you, if the practice is not going to listen to your documentation or guideline expertise, then why have a certified coder...

You have your hands full, good luck! :eek:

If I was in that siutation, I think I would look for another job. I've been in situations similar and I just couldn't do it. If you are knowingly submitting false claims (even at the insistence of your boss), that's a serious situation.

Best of luck!

:) Erica

response to how to handle?

yes, I have this same problem

I would code how the business wants you to code....keep notes in your personal files at home as to the specifics (coded as is per supervisor/manager) of the claim in case you're audited/disciplined...and retain your knowledge in case you start a job elsewhere.

you can't beat city hall lol lol

I've been told by my practice manager to "code how we've been told & there shouldn't be any question about it?" I have backed up my argument with guidelines, and other sources supporting it, they still don't want to listen to what a CPC has to say. Has anyone else had his problem? If so, exactly how do you react to that? My feelings are if you want to tell someone to code than don't bother hiring certified coders.

document, document, document

If your boss is telling you to do something against the rules I am a firm believer in CYA. What I would do is send an email clarifying that she wants you to code a certain way although you have coding guidelines that suggest you do otherwise. Whether your boss responds or not you can always show that you tried to do the right thing and the onus of responsibility is on the company. Then get the heck out of dogde as soon as you can, if she doesn't come around to reason.

Danielle B., CPC