Wiki Hpi elements

HOWRU2DAY

Networker
Best answers
I am new to behavioral health and am having trouble with the HPI elements. I am especially having trouble with location and quality. I am fine with all other specialties this one just has me a little stumped. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hi,

Please find below the following coding information I received:

Psychiatric E/M HPI:

Location: Regarding mental status, location could correspond to domain (e.g., mood, thought process, perception, etc.)

Quality: Descriptive language (e.g., forgetful, depressed, disorganized, hallucinating)

Severity: Language that relates to how bad the problem is (e.g., “8 out of 10,” controlled, uncontrolled)

Timing: Language that relates to when symptoms are experienced, such as in certain situations or time of day

Duration: Onset of symptoms and how long symptoms last

Context: Psychosocial factors related to the problem

Modifying factors: What brings on or relieves the problem?

Associated signs and symptoms: What else is happening? (e.g., loss of functions/drives, such as appetite, weight, libido, etc.)

Regards,
Lavanya Mohan

HPI elements

I am new to behavioral health and am having trouble with the HPI elements. I am especially having trouble with location and quality. I am fine with all other specialties this one just has me a little stumped. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Some examples you are struggling with would be helpful.