Humana requiring anatomical modifier

Best answers
I have received a denial from Humana Medicare requiring an anatomical modifier on CPT 63020, Excision of a cervical disk, one level. Has anyone else seen this or similar? I believe their edit is incorrect/invalid, but am looking to see how prevalent the denial is, to determine how far to fight it.

Thank you!

Shana DuBois, CPC

mk2001

Networker
Best answers
We have to attach LT, RT or 50 modifier on all of our procedures that have a bilateral surgery indicator of 1 when billing Humana. I don't know anything about 63020 but it has an indicator of 1. Maybe they're asking for which side the lamina was removed. Again, not my area, I looked up the description of the code and just taking a guess.

jbland

Contributor
Best answers
Have you called them? I have seen Humana many times say one thing on the denial and call them and it was denied for another completely different reason. I have not looked at the code, but I have had a few things deny for something completely different when I called them. Yes, I know, I do not have time to call all of these insurance companies. Maybe they need documentation?