Wiki Humana requiring anatomical modifier

Best answers
I have received a denial from Humana Medicare requiring an anatomical modifier on CPT 63020, Excision of a cervical disk, one level. Has anyone else seen this or similar? I believe their edit is incorrect/invalid, but am looking to see how prevalent the denial is, to determine how far to fight it.

Thank you!

Shana DuBois, CPC

We have to attach LT, RT or 50 modifier on all of our procedures that have a bilateral surgery indicator of 1 when billing Humana. I don't know anything about 63020 but it has an indicator of 1. Maybe they're asking for which side the lamina was removed. Again, not my area, I looked up the description of the code and just taking a guess.

Have you called them? I have seen Humana many times say one thing on the denial and call them and it was denied for another completely different reason. I have not looked at the code, but I have had a few things deny for something completely different when I called them. Yes, I know, I do not have time to call all of these insurance companies. Maybe they need documentation?

I have received a denial from Humana Medicare requiring an anatomical modifier on CPT 63020, Excision of a cervical disk, one level. Has anyone else seen this or similar? I believe their edit is incorrect/invalid, but am looking to see how prevalent the denial is, to determine how far to fight it.

Thank you!

Shana DuBois, CPC
This is on the bladder and there is no anatomical modifier that I could find, I think they just need records???

I'm confused, it's an excision of a cervical disk? However you said it's on the bladder? How is that even possible? I truly am curious.

Any way maybe they need to know the approach of the surgery?