Wiki Hyperbaric Oxygen Coding

mclewis

Best answers
Hello! I code for a wound care center that does HBO and one of the indications on the NCD 20.29 is preparation for compromised skin graft. I have been using T86.821 as my primary diagnosis with various secondary codes and none of these are making it through our billing system's edits. Is anyone having any luck in using something else or know what secondary code is appropriate? Thank you! MC

Hello! I code for a wound care center that does HBO and one of the indications on the NCD 20.29 is preparation for compromised skin graft. I have been using T86.821 as my primary diagnosis with various secondary codes and none of these are making it through our billing system's edits. Is anyone having any luck in using something else or know what secondary code is appropriate? Thank you! MC

The guidelines state "Use secondary code(s) from Chapter 20 , External causes of morbidity, to indicate cause of injury. Codes within the T section that include the external cause do not require an additional external cause code." When I pull up T86.821, it says "Skin graft (allograft) (autograft) failure" but does not list the external cause or any other information to explain why the failure has occurred.

There are also additional guidelines for T86,
"Use additional code to identify other transplant complications, such as:
graft-versus-host disease (D89.81-)
malignancy associated with organ transplant (C80.2)
post-transplant lymphoproliferative disorders (PTLD) (D47.Z1)"

What CPT codes are you billing and what other DXs have you tried?