ICD-10 code for Abnormal Fetal Heart Rate

singlemisfit

Best answers
ICD-9 code 659.73 crosswalks to O76 in ICD-10.
With all the specificity of ICD-10, I'm quite surprised that the code O76 for Abnormal Fetal Heart Rate appears restricted to "Complicating Labor and Delivery". What if the patient is 34 weeks and not in labor? Is using a Z3A code to specify weeks going to help or hinder? Am I missing something in their definition of labor and delivery? I would appreciate it if anyone could clarify.

Last edited:
I find that I'm much more comfortable using the ICD-10 book than the crosswalks. The crosswalks are notoriously confusing and misleading at times, and there's no way to verify the rationale. In the book,the alpha lookup assures me I'm headed in the right direction, and the excludes notes and other instructional notes verify this.

I'm assuming that you're coding the maternal record. If that's the case, codes from the O section are appropriate. The kid's abnormal heart rate is a complication of the pregnancy, and if you look up "Pregnancy complicated by abnormal fetal heart rate," it does point you to the O76 section. So you're on the right track, just second guessing your crosswalk tool. Code also the weeks of gestation, as per instructions under Z3A. It doesn't seem to make sense, but there it is...welcome to coding.... :)

Hope this helps.

What about O35.8xx1? Look under
Pregnancy
complicated by (care of) (management affected by)
fetal (maternal care for)
abnormality or damage
specified type NEC O35.8

I saw that, Deb, but the alpha index specifically sends you to O76 there, even without mentioning L/D. Pregnancy complicated by heart rate--which indicates fetal heart rate in the description for O76. Odd that it points in that direction and not the O35. There's no I-10 Coding clinic yet, and the I-9 clinic indicates that you use the 659.73 (which crosswalks...to O76). I wonder if this is a question for AMA?

I saw that, Deb, but the alpha index specifically sends you to O76 there, even without mentioning L/D. Pregnancy complicated by heart rate--which indicates fetal heart rate in the description for O76. Odd that it points in that direction and not the O35. There's no I-10 Coding clinic yet, and the I-9 clinic indicates that you use the 659.73 (which crosswalks...to O76). I wonder if this is a question for AMA?

I liked the O35 since it specifically referenced pregnancy management affected by. I am not able to look right now but be sure the other is not under the delivery affected by subsection.

Gloria

I do not like the O35 because it says "fetal abnormality and damage", that is not normally the case.
I would use O36.89XX which says "other specified fetal problems" Maybe being too literal but that is what I would use