ICD 10 is such a pain!

avon4117

Guru
Best answers
Some codes are not straight forward..like for instance Morbid Obesity. E66.01 is morbid (severe) obesity due to excess calories and E66.2 with alveolar hypoventilation. I can't use either one because I can't make any assumptions. Anyone else having issues with ICD 10? :(

ICD-10 isn't the issue, its the physician documentation, or lack thereof, that's the issue. It may just be a physician education issue

If the notes don't mention alveolar hypoventilation, you would disregard that code. That is a very specific complication. Also if the notes don't mention the caloric intake being the issue there is a default code of E66.9. A physician wont always be able to give the most specific dx on every encounter as you cant always dx someone in one visit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry but I have to disagree...ICD 9 had a code specifically for morbid obesity 278.01....I shouldn't have to default to an unspecified code when it is clearly documented. There should be a code for just morbid obesity...and there are tons of reasons for being obese...ICD 10 added all these additional codes to be more specific but Im just not seeing it....Just ranting...I still love my job :)

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I have to disagree...ICD 9 had a code specifically for morbid obesity 278.01....I shouldn't have to default to an unspecified code when it is clearly documented. There should be a code for just morbid obesity...and there are tons of reasons for being obese...ICD 10 added all these additional codes to be more specific but Im just not seeing it....Just ranting...I still love my job :)

There is usually a method to the madness. Perhaps they are trying to redefine Morbid obesity as obesity due to overeating vs obesity by other causes. For instance under I9 Morbid obesity had an exclude notice for endocrine related.