ICD10 Urine Drug Screening

HCundiff

Networker
Best answers
I'm trying to make a list of some of the more common nursing diagnosis codes for our clinic. We do a urine drug screening on most of the pregnant women. We are testing for meth, marijuana, etc... I don't know if they have a dependence, even if positive. They may be an occasional user, non-dependent. And if its negative, there is definitely no dependence. We screen urine, not blood. I'm hitting non-truths in every code I find. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!!

We screen all our patients who are on chronic pain meds or ADD meds with a urine drug test. I've been using Z04.9. Under Z04 the description indicates "it is to be used when a person is suspected of having an abnormal condition without signs or symptoms...but is ruled out. This category is also for use for administrative and legal observation status." I'm curious to see what others are using.

UHC is directing providers to use Z03.89 "for monitoring of patient compliance in a drug treatment program" but this does not seem to apply to screening in most patients in our office.

Last edited:
You will be able to use the Z03 or Z04 codes after the results show negative as these are code for conditions ruled out. For screening when there are no symptoms use a Z13.8 code for screening for other condition.

Z04.9 and Z13.89 both have excludes 1 notes about pregnancy. What drug screening code should I use for urine from a pregnant woman?