Wiki Incomplete EGD-Opinions please!

sbart73

New
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Opinions please! :) I have a patient who was scheduled for an EGD and colonoscopy. The EGD was unable to be completed due to the patient having a very small mouth and torticollis. They were unable to even insert the mouth guard in the patient's mouth. The patient was already sedated, but was also having an colonoscopy so the sedation would have been done regardless. Should I charge an esophagoscopy (discontinued), an EGD (discontinued) or not code that part at all (only code the successful colonoscopy). There is no plan to return to the OR at another time to attempt the procedure again.
Thank you for your help!

Opinions please! :) I have a patient who was scheduled for an EGD and colonoscopy. The EGD was unable to be completed due to the patient having a very small mouth and torticollis. They were unable to even insert the mouth guard in the patient's mouth. The patient was already sedated, but was also having an colonoscopy so the sedation would have been done regardless. Should I charge an esophagoscopy (discontinued), an EGD (discontinued) or not code that part at all (only code the successful colonoscopy). There is no plan to return to the OR at another time to attempt the procedure again.
Thank you for your help!

I had a very similar case, and I decided not to code it.
But it's my opinion.

:)