Wiki Infed infusion...

ivd34769

Best answers
Patient comes for Infed but also gets Benadryl and Decadron as prophylactic measure being Infed can cause nausea, diarrhea, fever etc...

Infed is given for Iron Def. but how would you code Decadron and Benadryl if pt is asymptomatic?

E934.0 Iron and its compounds causing adverse effects in therapeutic use
280.9 Iron deficiency

Am I correct on this one?

No additional dx code is needed for the Decadron and Benadryl. As long as your diagnosis codes support why you are giving Infed, no need to add diagnosis codes for Deca/Benadryl.

we give iron infusion all the time

At my previous oncology clinic, we did not bill a separate admin code for push of test dose, only the IV hours. We billed for all the drug combined.
Now I am in a new postition where they bill separately for that push.
How are others billing this scenario?

We didn't bill for the test dose unless the pt had a reaction to it and everything was stopped. Nurses would given test dose, wait, if no reaction proceed w/infusion. Then I would code/bill for the infusion only.

I am thinking the reason why you wouldn't be billing for the test dose if infusion was given is because it is the same drug so you wouldn't charge sep. admins, only add up the times and that should def give you over the push time. But I am just assuming that is the reason why. :)

We do the drugs separate bags due to reimbursement. Some ofices and the hospital alot of times put antiemetics on same bag. As for my original question, I'm billing the 280.9 with J1100 and J1200 and keeping track of the claims.

If a bag of iron dextran was prepared for a patient, along with a separate test dose, and the patient reacts to the test dose, is it possible to bill the bag of iron as waste? If not, does that get billed at all or is it just discarded?