Wiki insertion temporary balloon catheter, breast

genacodes

Contributor
Best answers
My surgeon installs a temporary balloon catheter in the breast at time of lumpectomy and sometimes after a reexcision for margins.

Later she installs the Mammosite catheter a day or two later.

All codes take me back to 19296 and 19697 which would be inappropriate for the temporary balloon catheter at the time of partial mastectomy.

I am unable to locate the correct code for the temporary balloon catheter insertion.

My surgeon installs a temporary balloon catheter in the breast at time of lumpectomy and sometimes after a reexcision for margins.

Later she installs the Mammosite catheter a day or two later.

All codes take me back to 19296 and 19697 which would be inappropriate for the temporary balloon catheter at the time of partial mastectomy.

I am unable to locate the correct code for the temporary balloon catheter insertion.

Reply-
The placement of a cavity evaluation device, best described by procedure code 19499, used as a placeholder for the Mammosite catheter, is considered to be part of global surgical service rendered and not eligible for separate reimbursement.

My physician does the mammosite also. I asked the same question when we first started doing them. I was told by the mammosite rep that the temporary balloon catheter is not billable. You just bill for the procedure (lumpectomy).