Wiki Inservice For New Icd-9 Codes

claudiak

Networker
Best answers
:confused:
I RECEIVED A LIST OF THE NEW ICD-9 CODES THAT WERE EFFECTIVE ON OCTOBER 1, 2008, BUT THERE WAS NO INSERVICE TO ATTEND TO EXPLAIN WHEN TO USE THE NEW CODES, ESPECIALLY I AM REFERRING TO THE 209.00 THRU 209.69. I HAVEN'T EVEN RECEIVED THE NEW ICD-9 BOOK SO CAN ANYONE GIVE ME AN IDEA OF WHETHER THESE 209.00 CODES REPLACE THE
NORMAL NEOPLASM CODES IN NEOPLASM TABLE. OR WHAT SPECIFIC INSTANCE WOULD THE 209.00 THRU 209.69 BE USED?

I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY AND ALL HELP
thanks
CLAUDIA K

209 codes

The new codes 209.00 through 209.30 indicate malignant carcinoid tumors of the small intestine. 209.0 small intestine, 209.1 large intestine, appendix, and rectum. 209.2 unspecified sites, 209.3 poorly differentiated neuroendocrine tumors any site. These will all need a 5th digit to indicate specific location. (.01 duodenum, 11 appendix, 14 transverse colon, 24 kidney)
The 209.4 through 209.69 are benign carcinoid tumors of the small intestine, large intestine, appendix, rectum, and unspecified sites. Again, the 209.43 benign carcinoid tumor of the ileum, 209.51 benign carcinoid tumor of the appendix, 209.61 benign carcinoid tumor of the bronchus and lung. So the 209 indicates the tumor, the 4th and 5th digit give the specific location.

Is this clear as mud? Hope this helps some. There are a lot of them, so hopefully you will get your new book soon.

Try this site, it seems to have everything there.
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/datawh/ftpserv/ftpicd9/ftpicd9.htm#guidelines

209-209.69

These codes are headed as specifically Neuroendocrine Tumors - all new code set - subheadings start with malignant carcinoid tumors of the small intestine to benign carcinoid tumors of other sites.

Normal neoplasm codes are still in ICD-9 - of course with changes. Hope this helps.

I guess what I am confused about is that these 209.00 series of codes may replace the Neoplasm Table codes? Is that the case? Or can we still use the
neoplasm table to code primary cancer and secondary cancers?

Thanks
ClaudiaK