Wiki Intraoperative Neuromonitoring

sachenbach

Best answers
Our facility uses an outside vendor for intraoperative monitoring. The tech is in the OR for the entire case and transmits the data to a physician offsite in a remote location. Obviously, we do not bill professionally for this service but the vendor appropriately bills CPT 95941. The vendor has suggested that we bill CPT 95941 technically as well so that they "match." I don't agree with this. It seems to me that CPT 95940 would be appropriate as the tech is onsite for the entire case. Is it necessary for the codes to match? I would appreciate any advice.
Thanks so much,
Sue

Iom

If I understand your question correctly, the vendor owns the equipment and coordinates the monitoring from inside the OR and an offsite physician monitors the readings and dictates a report of their findings.

In this case, the vendor would bill 95941.TC and the physician would bill 95941.26.

Unlike the prior intraoperative monitoring add-on code, 95920, the replacement add-on codes, 95940 & 95941, do not have separate professional and technical components. Additionally, there isn't any separation in the RVUs as those codes that do have separate professional and technical components. These IOM add-on codes can not be billed with the -26 and -TC modifiers.

Iom

Marvelh,

Thank you! I have not billed IOM since the code change, just knew of the new codes but you have me there. I had forgotten the codes were inclusive of technical and professional components. I bet there is a bit of confusion out there on this issue because how are both the vendor and the interpreting physician each getting their share of this? Are both able to bill the code?