Wiki Irrigation and Debridement with Breast Implant Removal

KBean2018

Guru
Best answers
I am reviewing the below procedure, I am leaning towards 19328-rt, and 13101 for irrigation and debridement, since it went down to the tissue? Any help is appreciated. thank you

Pre-op Diagnosis:
Ruptured silicone breast implant, subsequent encounter [T85.49XD]
Wound dehiscence, surgical, subsequent encounter [T81.31XD]
Breast infection [N61.0]

Post-op Diagnosis:
same

Procedure:
Post-Op Diagnosis Codes:
* Ruptured silicone breast implant, subsequent encounter [T85.49XD]
* Wound dehiscence, surgical, subsequent encounter [T81.31XD]
* Breast infection [N61.0]

Procedure(s):
IRRIGATION & DEBRIDEMENT BREAST WOUND / ABSCESS
BREAST IMPLANT REMOVAL

Her right JP drain is prepped into the surgical field. Of note there was a 5 cm long dehiscence along the vertical limb of her incision extending to her IMF. Cultures were taken of the fluid found within the breast cavity after removing her saline implant. There was no gross purulence noted only some murky yellow fluid without an odor. Using a 15 blade scalpel an elliptical incision was made along her prior vertical mastopexy incision measuring 9 cm in length in order to find healthy bleeding skin edges on either side of the dehiscence. As was seen 1 week ago there was additional necrotic subcutaneous fat and breast tissue found today which was debrided. 3 L of normal saline was then lavaged within the right breast cavity. The incision was closed in layers using 2-0 Vicryl suture in the dermis and interrupted 3-0 nylon mattress sutures to reapproximate the skin edges loosely. A prevena incisional wound VAC was placed over the incision to facilitate healing. The patient was awoken from anesthesia without complication and transferred to the recovery room in stable condition. At the end of the case all the needle, sponge and instrument counts were correct x 2 and I was present for the entire case.

I think complex repair 13101 would be included in the implant removal code 19328.
You may want to query the surgeon re: was the implant ruptured or intact. The pre-op and post-op diagnoses in the header include 'ruptured' silicon breast implant. The body of the op note states "after removing her saline implant" with no mention of rupture. With no additional information, 19328 is the appropriate code. However, if the implant was actually ruptured and no longer intact and the op note was corrected/addended to state that, 19330 would be the appropriate code.
Hope this helps.