Wiki Is 51990 a gender specific?

tammarin

Best answers
When doing a robotic assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy he also performs an anterior urethropexy stitch and a bilateral lymphadenectomy.

I key 55866, 38571, and 51990, I use to have no problems getting paid for the 51990, now Medicare denies it stating does not correspond with their sex. I had my physician dicatate a letter and sent appeal, they were paying for it and now they are not.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

This isn't my specialty but there is a 2012 CPT Assistant that nearly mimics your coding and the question was pertaining to the male's genital system. The suggested codes were 55866 and 51990/51992 (depending on the scenario). Have you called Medicare to see if this is an internal edit issue that needs correcting?

When doing a robotic assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy he also performs an anterior urethropexy stitch and a bilateral lymphadenectomy.

I key 55866, 38571, and 51990, I use to have no problems getting paid for the 51990, now Medicare denies it stating does not correspond with their sex. I had my physician dicatate a letter and sent appeal, they were paying for it and now they are not.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

51990 is NOT gender specific