Wiki Itemized billing

smcbroom

Best answers
I would like to get some feedback in regards to itemized billing for ASC's. My supervisor has been speaking with some people and they have talked with her about itemized billing for our surgery center. We do not itemize currently and just use appropriate CPT code(s) for the procedure. I am a little hesitant about itemized billing because I thought most ASC's don't do that. What are the pros/cons of doing it that way and what are some thoughts from others out there. I would appreciate any responses and comments in regards to this.

Thanks so much!
Susan

Most ASC's started out that way many years ago but unless your contracts pay you based on a percentage of charges, its not worth it. Most contracts are still based on the old grouper system which is a set rate per code.

You would have to assign a HCPC code to EVERY single item that is used for each case including a bandaid. Each individual item will have to be entered into your system seperately (you may need to check to see if your software is even compatible.)

I have nothing good to say about itemization..probably cause I've done it!!

thank you very much Mary! I thought the same thing but needed some extra back-up to bring to my supervisor, that way she will hopefully say "no" to itemized billing.