Wiki JZ Modifier Edits

Best answers
Hello! Has anyone else been receiving any feed back from payers on the JZ modifier? We have just gotten a notification from one of ours saying that our office has hit a lot of edits for lack of use on that modifier.

We are ortho - so we see a lot of use for Kenalog, Depo-Medrol and such and I did not think the JZ modifier would need to be used in these situations as our providers purchase and use multi-use containers of those steroids.

When I asked for clarification though, they said that the NCD is what's saying we are using a single dose and that's why it's hitting.

Does anyone have any education on that? We use the NCD from the package so I am not sure how it wouldn't support the right information. I feel like I must be missing something.

Thank you in advance!

Hello! Has anyone else been receiving any feed back from payers on the JZ modifier? We have just gotten a notification from one of ours saying that our office has hit a lot of edits for lack of use on that modifier.

We are ortho - so we see a lot of use for Kenalog, Depo-Medrol and such and I did not think the JZ modifier would need to be used in these situations as our providers purchase and use multi-use containers of those steroids.

When I asked for clarification though, they said that the NCD is what's saying we are using a single dose and that's why it's hitting.

Does anyone have any education on that? We use the NCD from the package so I am not sure how it wouldn't support the right information. I feel like I must be missing something.

Thank you in advance!
I would recommend looking up which manufacturer you are purchasing the drug from to see if they list the drug as single or multi use on the package insert or website. Or if your company has a purchasing area verify with them that you have the correct NDC number. We use dexamethasone and purchase the single use vials from McKesson.

Thank you in advance!
Hi, I found this NDC National Drug Codes list lookup tool is pretty helpful.

https://ndclist.com/search

Once you entered the correct NDC# to search bar, it shows the product information and the package information where you can find if it is a multi-dose or single dose vial.
Hope this help!