Wiki Kidney transplant with HTN

Best answers
Hi, I work for a Nephrologist and most of our patients was CKD and HTN (coded N18.- and I12.-). When one of our patients gets a renal transplant and no longer has CKD but still has HTN what HTN code am I supposed to use?

Hi Christiana, Did you ever get an answer to this question? I too am looking for appropriate coding for HTN post kidney transplant. thanks!

How about T86.19? Short description: "Other complication of kidney transplant." Long description:

"Acute graft versus host disease due to kidney transplant; Acute on chronic graft versus host disease due to kidney transplant; Chronic graft versus host disease due to kidney transplant; Graft versus host disease due to kidney transplant; Hypertension due to renal transplant; Hypertension secondary to kidney transplant; Malignant neoplasm associated with kidney transplant; Post kidney transplant lymphoproliferative disord; Post kidney transplant lymphoproliferative disorder; Post kidney transplant neoplasia"

That would be if the transplant caused or partially caused the hypertension.

If it was preexisting as you suggest, I'd go with your normal hypertension code and a renal transplant status code, like Z94.0.

This is a great question.

Per the 2019 ICD-10 manual (page 16), "patients who have undergone kidney transplants may still have some form CKD because the kidney transplant may not fully restore kidney function." Therefore, the answer to your question would be on a case by case basis. I would query the MD to find out if the patient still has CKD. If so, I12.x, N18.x would still be valid for a patient who had hypertension with CKD prior to transplant.