Wiki Kyleena HCPCS code

Community Wiki

This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on AAPC for 30 days and have made 5 posts. Learn More
C
HCPCS Coding for Kyleena™

Kyleena™ is a hormone-releasing IUD (intrauterine device) that prevents pregnancy for up to five years. According to the manufacturer, Bayer:

… CMS has not yet assigned a permanent HCPCS code for Kyleena. Until a product-specific code is assigned, please use the miscellaneous HCPCS code J3490 or check with the payer for more information on additional coding requirements.

Source: https://www.whcsupport.com/documents/PP-290-US-0255%20Kyleena_HCP_Payer_WAC_InfoLetter.pdf

Note the advice to contact your payer for more information. Some payers may not accept J3490 Unclassified drugs for Kyleena™ and instead may prefer S4989 Contraceptive intrauterine device (e.g., Progestacert IUD), including implants and supplies. S codes are not valid for Medicare payment.

CJGORKA

Best answers
At our college health center, the recently introduced Kyleena™ (levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system) 19.5 mg has become a popular IUD choice. There has been no assignment of a specific HCPCS code and per a phone call to Bayer, may not be until 2018.

We are having difficulty with preauthorization using Bayer’s suggested J3490, Unclassified drugs. We think perhaps S4989, Contraceptive intrauterine device (e.g., progestacert iud), including implants and supplies) would be the best alternative for coding. We are looking for anyone’s experience with preauthorization or claims for this product.

Cathy Gorka

kstine713

Contributor
Best answers
Yes, Help Please!

Our office is having the same issues, so if anyone has any feedback, please don't hold out on us! ;)

CodingKing

True Blue
Best answers
Unlisted J3490 is the correct code. S code looks like it may work if the payer accepts them

Best answers
We have been using the generic J code, however, some Blue Cross Blue Shield Plans are giving us the run around with the code, to which they gave us the alternative of S4989. So, I guess it depends on the actual plan.

Best answers
Kyleena -- Appropriate Code .....

:D As a payer we are accepting S4989 - Contraceptive intrauterine device (e.g., Progestacert IUD), including implants and supplies .... this is the most appropriate code, not unlisted J3490.

Grethel

New
Best answers
New Temporary Code for Kyleena effective 7/1/17

hello
Does anyone have some information about the the new temporary code for Kyleena effective for CMS on July 1,2017?
the code will be Q9984.
Please let me know where I can found more info about it.
thanks

Best answers
temporary HCPCS code for Kyleena

I was informed that there is a temporary HCPCS code for Kyleena now - it's Q9984. I hope this helps.

srvpratt

New
Best answers
Kyleena IUD Temp Code

I was just given a temp code for the Kyleena asQ9984. Is anybody having trouble with reimbursement or can share what they are being reimbursed for the IUD when it is paid under their medical benefits?