Wiki Left subclavian ostial stent angiogram/PTA

spielmar

New
Best answers
Hello,
PLEASE HELP!!! New to vascular coding! I thought I had this figured out, but it seems I don't know what I'm doing. I cannot figure out how to code these. I don't understand how I'm told to code the 75710 as well, when CCI edits state that it's included with both the 37236 and the 36215.
I have it coded as
37236 for the PTA
36215 for the cath placement
93455 for the heart cath
99152 for the sedation

Pre Procedure Indication / Diagnosis:
1. Non Q MI
2. Left arm pain (Known stent in left subclavian? Stenosis) - R/O Steal syndrome
3. Known CAD / CABG 2011

Post procedure Diagnosis:

1. Same
2. Severe stenosis in left subclavian stent
3. Successful PTA of the left subclavia
4. Patent LIMA -LAD, SVG -D and SVG-OM2
5. Moderate to severe disease in small RCA

Pre Procedure Conscious Evaluation:

ASA Class: ‌ I ‌ II ‌ III ‌ IV

Mallampati Class: ‌ I ‌ II ‌ III ‌ IV

Procedure Performed:

Access: ‌ Femoral ‌ Radial artery
‌ Right ‌ Left

Ultrasound use for guidance: ‌ Yes ‌ No

Conscious sedation: ‌ Yes ‌ No

‌ Left Heart Cath ‌ LIMA-Grafts ‌ LV Gram post AV crossing

‌ Left subclavian angio-selective ‌ Abdominal Aorta Run Off

‌ PTCA-DES ‌ PTA of Left subclavian ‌ IVUS ‌ FFR/IFR

‌ Intravascular Infusion (NTG, thrombolytic, Verapamil..) ‌ No

Procedure Details: After informed consent was obtained with explanation of the risks and benefits, patient was brought to the cath lab. The access area was prepped and draped in sterile fashion. 1% lidocaine was used for local block. The artery was cannulated with 6 Fr sheath with brisk arterial blood return. The side port was frequently flushed and aspirated with normal saline. The catheter crossed the aortic valve, hemodynamic measurement was documented as below, and LV gram was done or not as indicated below based on patient stability, renal function and .The right coronary artery was engaged and contrast injected with no complication, and findings as below. Then the laft main was engaged to visualize the Lad and LCX arteries as described below.

Aortic pressure: 124/42 mm Hg
LV pressure: 145/-5 mm Hg
Aortic valve gradient: minimal mm Hg

Left subclavian: 57/52 with gradient about 70 mm Hg before treatment with PTA

Coronary Findings:

Dominance: ‌ Right ‌ Left

Left main: good size. Distal 40-50% stenosis

Left anterior descending artery: 100% proximal area
LIMA -LAD: Patent with steal syndrome due to left subclavian stenosis (90% with gradient 70-80 mm Hg in the ostial area in stent stenosis)
Diagonal 1: Diffuse disease
SVG - D1: patent with no disease
LCX: 100%
SVG-OM: Patent with small OM, diffuse disease not amendable for stent
RCA: Appears to be non dominant, small, with mid area 60-70% stenosis.

The LV gram was performed in the RAO 30 position. Cath
LVEF: 45%. LV Wall Motion: global hypokinesia

Left Subclavuian Angiogram / Intervention:
Using multipurpose ccatheter left ostial subclavian stent idintified occluded with mean gradient about 80 mm Hg before and after we crossed the lesion with glide wire successfully, causing steal syndrom to a large LIMA-LAD.

A Glide wire was used then a 10/40 balloon was advanced in ostial subclavian, inflated to 14 multiple time

Final gradient was < 10 mm Hg, and the area was patent improving flow into the LIMA

Conclusions:
1. Multivessel CAD
2. Mild LV dysfunction
3. Patent LIMA -LAD, SVG -D
4. Patent SVG -OM with small target vessel with 70% stenosis (not amendable for stent)
5. Moderate to severe disease in small RCA
6. Successful PTA of the left subclavian ostial stent to treat the steal syndrom for the LIMA

Recommendation:
1. Post PTCA -stent protocol

Estimated Blood Loss: ‌ <10 ‌ 10-25 ‌ 25-50 ‌ 50-100 ‌ >100

CONTRAST VOLUME: 85
FLUORO TIME: 20 minutes;
FLUORO DOSE: 301 mGy/cm2
Time of sedation: 45 min

Sedation: ‌ Minimal ‌ Moderate ‌ Deep
Medications Used: ‌ Versed & Fentanyl ‌ Propofol ‌ Morphine Sulfate ‌ Valium
Orders given by cardiologist.
I supervised and/or directed an independent trained observer who assisted in monitoring the patient's level of consciousness and physiological status throughout the procedure

NCCI Policy Manual has that a diagnostic angiogram can be reported together with an intervention, using a 59 or XU modifier to bypass the CCI edit, if the service satisfies CPT manual guidelines, national Medicare guidelines and local MAC guidelines.

CMS considers the patient to have had a prior angiogram if he or she had either a catheter-based angiogram or a CT angiogram. (MR angiograms do not count) CCI manual state: "If a diagnostic angiogram (fluoroscopic or computed tomographic) was performed prior to the date of the percutaneous intravascular interventional procedure, a second diagnostic angiogram cannot be reported on the date of the interventional procedure unless it is medically reasonable and necessary to repeat the study to further define the anatomy and pathology.

This is the info from my IR book that helped me so I hope it helps you as well.

Margaret,
Thank you for further defining the use of 75710. I think I get it now. Would you agree with the CPT codes I used in comparison to the procedure note?

Hello

I read the report and the correct code for the heart cath is 93459-26. The aortic valve was crossed, and measurements were taken. LIMA/LAD, SVG/OM arteries/grafts were imaged.

Catheter placement in coronary artery(s) for coronary angiography, including intraprocedural injection(s) for coronary angiography, imaging supervision and interpretation; with left heart catheterization including intraprocedural injection(s) for left ventriculography, when performed, catheter placement(s) in bypass graft(s) (internal mammary, free arterial, venous grafts) with bypass graft angiography.

The catheter crossed the aortic valve, hemodynamic measurement was documented as below,
The LV gram was performed in the RAO 30 position. Cath
LVEF: 45%. LV Wall Motion: global hypokinesia

I would code this case as follows:
36215 - 1st order vessel, subclavian artery
37236 - PTA & Stent
93459-26 - left heart cath, coronary angiogram including bypass grafts
99152 - moderate sedation

if a previous diagnostic angiogram was not performed in the subclavian artery, you may bill for it 75710-26 59

Hope this has been useful information.
Dee