Wiki lice check required

tag60

Guru
Best answers
I'm unsure what diagnosis code to use for this encounter. This is an established patient who has never had lice before. Short note as follows:

S: Child is here with mom for lice check. Family has just entered a shelter.

O: No lice or nits in hair or scalp.

A/P: Note given stating patient is free from lice, for mom to give to shelter.

Thanks in advance!

I'm thinking of V70.3 & V75.8 (Special examination for other specified parasitic infections.)

I was looking at Merck Manual and Lice falls under parasitic skin infections
http://www.merckmanuals.com/profess...ons/introduction-to-parasitic-skin-infections

I like the V75.8 (Special exam for other specified parasitic infections) and I don't think the V70.3 is necessarily wrong but the family is in a shelter. If there is a valid diagnosis (V75.8) that gets the claim paid vs an administrative code that will likely end up being denied and going to the homeless patient I vote for the more specific V75.8.

Just my thoughts :)

I like the V75.8 (Special exam for other specified parasitic infections) and I don't think the V70.3 is necessarily wrong but the family is in a shelter. If there is a valid diagnosis (V75.8) that gets the claim paid vs an administrative code that will likely end up being denied and going to the homeless patient I vote for the more specific V75.8.

Just my thoughts :)

I think you are correct, although not to choose diagnosis dx based on coverage vs non-coverage. That is not proper coding. Purposely misreporting diagnosis like that can cause trouble for the practice.

However V70.3 is a general medical exam. It has a code additional DX note for any special screening examinations performed (V73.0-V82.9) . Since they only did a single special screening, I would think the special exam DX code V75.8 would be more appropriate.