• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Locum Tenens Medicare Billing


Best answers
I need clarification on how to bill Medicare for the locum tenens services. The provider he is covering for is no longer with our clinic. If I understand the Medicare guidelines I am to bill for services using the provider's name that is no longer here with the modifier Q6. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.


True Blue
Modesto, CA
Best answers
That is correct, Modifier Q6 would be used. Claims payment is made under the name and billing number of the physician or the practice (in the event the physician has left the practice) that hired the locum tenens physician. If the physician has left the practice, every claim still must have a rendering provider, so the practice would still use his or her name and NPI with modifier Q6 Services furnished by a locum tenens physician appended to the procedure code to indicate the service was furnished by a locum tenens physician.

There is a great article from the Knowledge Center that may help to clarify this situation for you. I have noted the link below.