Loss of Lordosis coding

mitchellde

True Blue
Best answers
As a medical term lordosis is actual an abnormal condition of a foward bending of the spine, as in that which is more than normal... suffix sis means condition of. Lordo root word bending forward.

jmcpolin

True Blue
Best answers
you are right I guess I was thinking more of an abnormality would be hyperlordosis so if you have loss of excessive curvature would that also be considered an abnormality?

mitchellde

True Blue
Best answers
HAHHAHA! You got me there! I had no answer for Adam on this one as I am thinking if the patient had lordosis, then due to exercise and weight loss perhaps is walking more erect and as a result has a more natural curvature, is that what he means by a loss of lordosis?, in which case I am thinking we need no diagnosis to say the patient is getting better except for maybe a V code but I am not sure which one maybe follow up? I think more information is really needed.

ejlehman

Networker
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
I am thinking more info is needed on this one. "Loss of" indicates that the curvature is being corrected in some way. We use 737- 737.9 depending on type or 738.5 if it is NOS. If the curvature is gone, we do not code it. Good luck!