Wiki MedAssurant-Coding from Home

Hi,
Yes I'm from Hawaii, Kauai to be exact. I just got off the phone with Jay, we did a introduction. He explained about the end of the training exam, then about the mentoring program and how there's another exam.....I did ask about the sign on bonus and he stated that at this time no bonus is being offered. This will be my primary job, so I'm crossing my fingers and saying my prayers, hoping that I'll have a great experience!:) Let me know how your training is coming along....the only downfall that I can see right now is the time difference......lol!

Penny

The training is grueling! I am up at 3:15 am to be ready for 4:45 am. So far it seems to be going well lots to learn. I am hoping my experience with them is not like everyone else's , seems alot of people on the forum have had bad experience w/them. Does anyone have any info on the test after the training? The only thing I think is bad is that you are giving them 30 hours of training and youa arent paid, until you pass the test you have 2 trys and you actually do work for them.

Yikes

The training is grueling! I am up at 3:15 am to be ready for 4:45 am. So far it seems to be going well lots to learn. I am hoping my experience with them is not like everyone else's , seems alot of people on the forum have had bad experience w/them. Does anyone have any info on the test after the training? The only thing I think is bad is that you are giving them 30 hours of training and youa arent paid, until you pass the test you have 2 trys and you actually do work for them.

Yikes...I better make sure I get my rest and full cooperation from the kids & hubby. I talked to Jay and he stated even after this exam, provided you pass, after the mentoring program theres another exam.....wow....Me too, I hope my experience is much more pleasant than the others on the forum. It's unfortunate.....So do you just do this from home, or do you have another job?

Penny

Yikes...I better make sure I get my rest and full cooperation from the kids & hubby. I talked to Jay and he stated even after this exam, provided you pass, after the mentoring program theres another exam.....wow....Me too, I hope my experience is much more pleasant than the others on the forum. It's unfortunate.....So do you just do this from home, or do you have another job?

Penny

I work for a surgeon and neurologist, full time but have worked on the side full time for some time now. So I hope this works, you are required to do at least 40-60 charts a day from what I have heard from medassurant I will let you know how my last day goes tomorrow and how the test is.

Well its a shame that you feel so strongly about Medassurant. I have been an in house coder for over a year now. I came out of coding school and they gave me chance, I am very grateful. I actually was promoted in March 2008 to a Lead coder and feel very strongly about my bond with the Remote staff. Medassurant does have a strict policy of making your quota and working a 40 hour week. Mainly due to the volume we have to get done by certain deadlines for CMS and the health plans. Unfortunately the remote coders have been advised that they can carry more than one job and be successful, this is a challenge and many fail, leading to disgrunted employees. However, many are successful. We employ over 800 staff and are doing quite well. This position is not for everyone. If you have benefits thru a spouse and can work 40 hours per week during 7-5 Eastern Standard time, you should be fine. I myself am very happy with my employment. BMH

Results?

I work for a surgeon and neurologist, full time but have worked on the side full time for some time now. So I hope this works, you are required to do at least 40-60 charts a day from what I have heard from medassurant I will let you know how my last day goes tomorrow and how the test is.

Hi,

I just got thru with the training, it went pretty well. Not too bad, I have a yard full of roosters as my alarm clock. I'm anxiously awaiting my test score. I just submitted it, 6pm our time. I wonder if I was suppose to submit it on their time? Now it's the weekend & if no one will get it till Tuesday, tells me that if I failed the first I don't think I'll have a chance to do the 2nd attempt. Yikes.....How did you do?

Penny

I have worked for MedAssurant for over a year. There was a brief time in April where it was slow, we got 24 hours a week in for about 3 weeks. The previous year it was a couple of months (in 2006). They are growing fast and I do not expect a slow down at all this coming year. The job is a full time job and they do require 40.0 hours a week, it is not a 2nd job. They require training, bi-weekly meetings, and other training. I have been pretty happy working for them, this job works really well for me and I do not plan on making a change any time soon

Remember - You have to sign a non-compete contract to work for them. They still have not paid me for the work and training that I did for them.
However, I do agree I would have like the job and the freedoms it affords you. Just can't commit to the non-comete and working 2 jobs, that are equally demanding.
Good Luck to all who can.

Medassurant test

Hi I was wondering if anyone could tell me if Medassurant's training test is difficult, I just got hired on & am really nervous I was told if you dont pass the test their job offer will be taken away!?:eek:

I have been working for MedAssurant since March 2008 and I have had my ups and downs. I am very greatful to have a job in this struggling economy. I have 2 clients that I bill for on a part-time basis and MedAssurant is my full-time job. My husband carries the benefits and I am able to be home with my kids. The down part of the job has been not being able to download charts sometimes and not getting paid for the down time. I have been told that when there is a technical problem that I will only be paid for work completed. That is not fair since I spend every hour trying to download and should be paid for that time of trying. That has been my only complaint. I have worked with very supportive and knowledgable coders. I am required to work 40 hours per week and review 40-60 charts per week. Since I work 50-60 hours from home for all my jobs, I have learned to be creative with my schedule. I even hired a part time independent contractor to help me with my clients so I am actually only working 50 hours per week. So, I am happy to work for the company since jobs are hard to come by. Especially from home.

cpcoder

I read everyone post about Medassurant, and I have been with the company for 90 days now and so far I haven't had a problem with them, everyone has been really nice, I have been out of the preceptor program 2 month now and I have had nothing but a good experience every since I have been with the company, my preceptor was really nice and always available and my lead was the same way. I have never had a problem downloading work since I have been there, I do know that if you try and download once and nothing comes up you have to try again and the work will come. I am sorry for all the people who have had bad experience, but I think the new people need to get a chance and experience things for themselves, yes it does help to hear feedback from other people, because I know this feedback was really helpful to me in the beginning, maybe this job isn't for everyone, but for me it is saving me an arm and an leg on daycare, and I need my arms and legs...hahaha, but all and all it has been a good experience so far working for Medassurant and I know alot of people are giving them a bad name and I just wanted to speak up and say it's not a bad company to work for...I love it!!!

test

Hi I was wondering if anyone could tell me if Medassurant's training test is difficult, I just got hired on & am really nervous I was told if you dont pass the test their job offer will be taken away!?:eek:

The training test is easy just make sure you take notes.

MedAssurant does not take part time employees, not sure where that came from. Medassurant requires 40 hours per week.

Medassurant Pay

Not sure if someone asked this already.

How do they determine the hourly rate? Is it the same for everyone, or depending on experience, or are there different levels of work that earn different rates?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Sue

How are hours determined

For those that currently work for MedAssurant, how are hours calculated? Is it based on Log-in times?, download/upload of charts?

hours

Hours are logged by you, everyday that you work, you do log in but doesnt necessarily mean you are clocked in.

I totally agree with what the last post said (Nomadone), I have been with the company 4 months now and I have never had a problem, everything she said was right on the money and I think it's a good company to work for.

Great company..

Hello all,
I too work for MedAssurant, and I love it as well, I started 1 month ago and have not had any problems whatsoever...In our last team meeting, last thursday we were told they have stopped hiring remote coders for the time being. I Start overreads tomorrow, so far so good. I absolutely love my job!! :) :) :)

Not to be overly nosy, but could someone give me a range of compensation that I would likely receive? The website says "highly competitive" compensation, but I've found that could mean about anything.:rolleyes:

Also, could someone give me more details about the non-compete clause? Are you barred just from doing work that is very similar to what you are doing, i.e. working from home coding from charts? Or does it bar you from coding at a local hospital or for a local physician?

Although I am not a huge fan of non-compete clauses, I can understand why it would be in place if it is just to prevent you from working another very similar remote job. Otherwise it would be very easy to make MedAssurant pay the training costs for employees and then have them quit. However, if it effectively keeps me from other types of jobs then that is a different situation entirely.

Thanks in advance for any information you can offer!:eek:

I understand that not EVERYONE who works for MedAssurant is getting or experiencing bad vibes, but the ones who are can't be making it up. I like others have read ALL the post about MedAssurant and was a little leery about them. I have been employed with them for almost a month - I have NEVER EVER had a job where I felt like this. They should have gotten the kinks out a LONG time ago, they treat new employees very rudely. For example, there were 25 people in my training class, not everyone past the test after training. I scored a 90% the first time and then a 98% the second time, so YES, I did pay attention to the training. BUT - the ones that got the job, some of us are going thru hell. Granted we are STILL in training and being treated unfairly.

In my personal opinion - I think the ones who are posting GOOD things about MedAssurant are just very lucky and have a good team working with them or they are actually the perceptors and/or the leads.

Still trying to hang in there.

My experience

Has been mixed. I'm out of the preceptor program and have a new Lead. So far the stress is being told that I'm doing a great job no errors and so on that am and then my Lead calls that afternoon saying I'm going to slow and what's the problem. The problem was I had to attend a funeral and was off for a week but caught up to the best of my ability when I returned.
So it's touch and go and 3 months going so far.

Medassurant

I've been with this company since Sept 15, 2008. The training was long and boring, but understandable, if that's a word. The information in training was too much for the average person to grasp in 30 hours. I didn't like the fact that you gave up a whole week for training but wouldn't get paid if you didn't pass the exam. I passed the exam the second time around, but felt badly for the people who didn't. I've had no problems with work or anything. It DOES MATTER what team you're on. I had one of the best preceptors that didn't mind going over something in the chart or a signature I wasn't sure of. You have some that act as if you are suppsose to know everything out of the gate. My lead is just as kind. I actually graduated to overreads in my 5th week. I thought that was a little fast, but was told some people stay in preceptorship up to 12 weeks. I'm going on my 2nd month. I hope everything stays like this, I'll be fine. My goal was to stay employed until Christmas, but the way things are looking, I'll make it til' income tax time.:) With all that said, I'm still not quitting my day job.:D

medassurant

I worked for Medassurant and thought it was great at first....I was out of the preceptor program by about three weeks and they started training me to do overreads. Two weeks later, they told me that I wasn't meeting my error rate and they had to let me go.....I was miffed, as they tried to tell me that I had errors on certain charts, but I have the emails to prove that I was informed by my team lead to do things the way they had been done. Needless to say, I don't recommend seeking employment there. I have since moved on and have an awesome job contract coding from homw and I love it!!!!

Lucky One

ok supergirl, help a sister out. How did you find you're awesome contract deal working from home? I've been searching for ever with no luck what so ever:cool:

I have a question for those who work at MedAssurant--I currently work for them as a site data collector but now that I have my CPC-A I am eligible to change to reviewer. As a new grad (I have my Associate's in HIT and will take the RHIT exam in December) is this way out of my league?

I am happy right now as a data collector but would like better experience. At the same time I am afraid after reading some of the stories on here. Advice? :confused: :confused:

dforfar: In my opinion, I would say that yes it would be out of your league. Not to be mean, just realistic, Medassurant's style of coding is "hard" for someone who has been coding day in and day out for several years. This is b/c of how absolutely specific they want everything coded. Combo codes and highly specific codes are to be used on every chart you will be reviewing. I'm not sure what your experience is, but just going with what you said (cpc-a and associates, etc.) I would say stick with the position you are at. If I were to assume, I'd also say the site reviewer position is probably more "stable" than the remote coder also. Once you become a remote coder, you will enter into the touch-and-go realm that so many have posted about on here...the highly expendable employee that they can fire at the drop of a hat. just my opinion...:)

dforfar: In my opinion, I would say that yes it would be out of your league. Not to be mean, just realistic, Medassurant's style of coding is "hard" for someone who has been coding day in and day out for several years. This is b/c of how absolutely specific they want everything coded. Combo codes and highly specific codes are to be used on every chart you will be reviewing. I'm not sure what your experience is, but just going with what you said (cpc-a and associates, etc.) I would say stick with the position you are at. If I were to assume, I'd also say the site reviewer position is probably more "stable" than the remote coder also. Once you become a remote coder, you will enter into the touch-and-go realm that so many have posted about on here...the highly expendable employee that they can fire at the drop of a hat. just my opinion...:)

No, not mean at all :) That's the information I was looking for! I am fine in my current position, and the big concern I had was that I would get into a remote position without much support. I am still looking for a coding position in a facility as I study for my RHIT. I am a good coder for a newbie, but I also know enough to know how much I still need to learn. Thanks for the help!

I have a question for those who work at MedAssurant--I currently work for them as a site data collector but now that I have my CPC-A I am eligible to change to reviewer. As a new grad (I have my Associate's in HIT and will take the RHIT exam in December) is this way out of my league?

I am happy right now as a data collector but would like better experience. At the same time I am afraid after reading some of the stories on here. Advice? :confused: :confused:

dforar-
I currently work for MedAssurant as a remote coder. I wouldn't say that it is out of your league. I started with my CPC-A and am doing fine. They give pretty specific training on what is expected and how they want you to code. If you are a good coder, it shouldn't be a problem.

I hear all of these posts about lack of work, firing without reason, lack of helpful management and so forth. All I can do is speak for my own personal experience, and I can say I have not experienced any of this. So I guess it's just luck on the type of lead you get. But if it's something you want to do, I wouldn't be afraid that it is out of your league. Especially because it's a good way to gain experience. But good luck with whatever you choose! :D

I don't see it being out of your league. I have been with them 4 1/2 months and I have a wonderful lead. You have your CPC-A. You know how to code or you wouldn't have that. There is nothing hard about their expectations on coding. You know already to code to the most specific and to the highest digit for dx coding. This will only give you experience for ICD coding though.Their rules do change constantly, because of the everchanging rules of medicare mostly. Right now things will be alot easier for the new hires because no matter if the signature is any good or not, you go on and map it to an HCC if it is linked and enter it. Before, alot of errors were counted because of signature issues. But whatever you choose, I myself am very proud of you getting your degree and taking these exams. That is so wonderful!!!!!!!!

Hello,
Is Medassurant hiring? I'm a desperate mom of two girls who need a remote coding job. Thanks

Alona B. Isip, CPC

I used to work for them in the main office in Bowie, MD earlier this year. Remote coders are not offered any benefits. Only in-house coders are offered benefits and they are very expensive.

We have benefits through my husband's job, I need to work from home to be able to take the girls to school and be able to pick them up after. And also take them to appts w/o any problems.

Alona B. Isip, CPC

home coding

My first post so I hope I am doing it correctly.

I have my CPC-A also and have sent in the paperwork to remove the A. I would like to do some work from home.

Can you tell me how to contact MedAssurant or any other company like them?

thanks,
Debi

We have benefits through my husband's job, I need to work from home to be able to take the girls to school and be able to pick them up after. And also take them to appts w/o any problems.

Alona B. Isip, CPC
I say "go for it". You need a job, you have nothing to lose. I also do not need benefits. I already have them. Go to the website, email your resume and a nice cover letter. I emailed mine on a Saturday and they called me Monday. If you need any help or have any questions along the way, you may pm me. Good Luck in whatever you choose.;)

dforar-
I currently work for MedAssurant as a remote coder. I wouldn't say that it is out of your league. I started with my CPC-A and am doing fine. They give pretty specific training on what is expected and how they want you to code. If you are a good coder, it shouldn't be a problem.

I hear all of these posts about lack of work, firing without reason, lack of helpful management and so forth. All I can do is speak for my own personal experience, and I can say I have not experienced any of this. So I guess it's just luck on the type of lead you get. But if it's something you want to do, I wouldn't be afraid that it is out of your league. Especially because it's a good way to gain experience. But good luck with whatever you choose! :D

Thank you for the encouragement! I have been completely on the fence about this and the previous posts are scary--especially since I've experienced nothing but good things from MedAssurant so far. I just got an interview at a hospital (doing ROI) but if it does not pan out I think I will go for the promotion at MedAssurant!

I don't see it being out of your league. I have been with them 4 1/2 months and I have a wonderful lead. You have your CPC-A. You know how to code or you wouldn't have that. There is nothing hard about their expectations on coding. You know already to code to the most specific and to the highest digit for dx coding. This will only give you experience for ICD coding though.Their rules do change constantly, because of the everchanging rules of medicare mostly. Right now things will be alot easier for the new hires because no matter if the signature is any good or not, you go on and map it to an HCC if it is linked and enter it. Before, alot of errors were counted because of signature issues. But whatever you choose, I myself am very proud of you getting your degree and taking these exams. That is so wonderful!!!!!!!!

Thank you :D It has been quite a long two years and now that I am studying for my RHIT I am so nervous and I keep second guessing myself, lol! My family is not that supportive, partly because I think only coders know how hard it is!

And I was wondering how the signature policy was affecting the reviewers--if it made things harder or easier I mean. It makes my job much easier because I just scan everything :)

Last edited:
Hi All -

I just want to say don't be fooled by the BBB with MedAssurant, all that means is they are not regisitered with the BBB. They don't have to be, so no one will ever know what complaints are made.

As you and everyone else stated - It's not for everyone, this is true. I don't want to get in a debate with anyone. To those who are interested in employment with MedAssurant, I advise you to read ALL posts about them before you make your decision. I read them and still made my own decision to accept employment with them and yes, I have/had a bad experience with them. I am contemplating quitting, but still haven't yet. Not all of the Lead or Preceptors are very professional, they will talk down to you.

I don't want to get into the whole "Sha-Bang," but all I will say is keep your eyes and ears open and DOCUMENT everything that happens to you.

Remote Coding

I recently took my CPC exam, and I'm interested in working from home. Does anyone know how your compensated, and do any of the company's offer benefits?

I concur with Nomadone

for as working with Medassurant, I have been with them since November 2008
I havent had any problems. As long as you do your job the way you are supposed to you wont have any problems. My preceptor she is a christian woman, she has been really helpful and friendly.:)

Look under job postings. I have posted multiple jobs and Medassurant is one of them. The thread is titled remote coder jobs #20.

Chart Reviewer/Collector
Medical Record Coder (CPC or comparable) OR RN OR LPN OR Medical Assistant OR Certified Nursing Assistant OR Medical Clerk; Clinical experience; prefer experience in performing chart abstractions; Ability to manage and meet deadlines; Computer literate; Available to perform reviews no less than 24 hours a week; Must be willing to travel; Must have high speed internet access. Submit your resume and cover letter detailing your experience on-line at www.medassurant.com/careers OR you may fax/email your resume and cover letter to MedAssurant, Attn: SRC/SMRC/SDC-PA. Fax 800-298-9914; email jobs@medassurant.com

Last edited:
Medassurant

I was just hired and am in training and so far am loving it. They already have some chart reviews lined up for me. To me it seems to be a very professional organization.:)

nege