Wiki Medical Necessity for CPT 33249 - We have received a few denials

cherrera26

Contributor
Best answers
Hi
We have received a few denials from Medicare of Florida for Procedure 33249 , I have tried to look in CMS to get the Rules and ICD-9 odes that we can use to support the Medical Necessity in several occasions without any success.
Does anybody here has the guide lines or any LCD from CMS with this information.
Please advice.
thanks.

Getting paid for AICD's (33249)

Are you billing the code with the Q0 or Q1 modifier? I refered to NCD 20.4 and several MLN Matters Articles:

MM4273 Transmittal# R819CP
MM5805 Transmittal# R1418CP
MM3604 Transmittal# R497CP
MLN Matters Number SE0517

All of this if very useful information and we have been getting paid. I have all of this information scanned and can gladly email anyone who needs it to save you time. Just give me your email address or send me a personal message. Hope this information helps and let me know if you have any questions.

no, and I think that is one of the reason we are not getting paid, but I want to be sure that we can use it for Medicare of Florida.
I sent you an email with my Email address and I will really apreciate if you can send me thise documents.
thanks.

I would really appreciate any help on the 33249, Florida Medicare Part B keeps denying. Recently, claims were sent with the QO modifier and medicare denied those claims for the QO modifier.

Last edited:
Q0 Modifier with LCD to go with it

It not QO that you use its Q0 = Q, (0) :zero not Q, O. it also needs a Diagnosis that Medicare approves.

Are you billing the code with the Q0 or Q1 modifier? I refered to NCD 20.4 and several MLN Matters Articles:

All of this if very useful information and we have been getting paid. I have all of this information scanned and can gladly email anyone who needs it to save you time. Just give me your email address or send me a personal message. Hope this information helps and let me know if you have any questions.
Hi C. Weaver,
We would truely appreciate any information you have on the AICD and medical neccessity DX...we have just started to get a couple of denials and any information you have would be great...my e-mail is rwalker@ccvmg.com...thanks for your help...:)

Denials for CPT 33249

Can CPT 33249 only be billed with the Q0 and Q1 modifiers? We perform this procedure, but not for clinical research, therefore those mods seem inappropriate. However, we are receiving many denials from Medicare of Louisiana. Can you please advise? Thanks.

33249q0

To use the Q0 modifier the patient must be Medicare with the dx codes for congestive heart failure and/or cardiomyopathy (non ischemic) 425.4. Also if they have v tach and/or a history of sudden cardiac death V12.53 you would NOT use Q0.
By using Q0 they are showing that the patient has the potential for sudden cardiac death hence the 33249 is being done for primary prevention. Use the Q0 for 33240 for the same reasons when the patients' ICD is at elective replacement time.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hi

Could you send me the information also. My email address: marty3073@yahoo.com

Thanks

When using the Q0 modifier do we need to be registered with the national registry. We are getting several denials but I want to make sure we are using the modifier correct. Thank you. Sally:confused:

When using the Q0 modifier do we need to be registered with the national registry. We are getting several denials but I want to make sure we are using the modifier correct. Thank you. Sally:confused:

I believe that the facility that actually incurs the cost of the device registers the #'s identifying the device. On your claim, I believe you also need to enter the serial # of the device in addition to the Q0 modifier and the appropriate dx codes.

For this same issue ours is stating you must also report the applicable Device with 33249...do you know which device code they are referring too?

Hi
We have received a few denials from Medicare of Florida for Procedure 33249 , I have tried to look in CMS to get the Rules and ICD-9 odes that we can use to support the Medical Necessity in several occasions without any success.
Does anybody here has the guide lines or any LCD from CMS with this information.
Please advice.
thanks.