Wiki Menisectomy vs Chrondroplasty

Robbin109

Expert
Best answers
This might be a dumb question as I am just learning Ortho, but how do you know when to code for Meniscectomy vs Chrondroplasty?

On the reports, the MD as listed as the procedure performed as

1) Partial lateral meniscectomy
2) Chondroplasty of Patellofemeroal joint

Sometimes the coder codes as 29881 and other times 29887? How can I tell when to code which one?

Thanks!

This might be a dumb question as I am just learning Ortho, but how do you know when to code for Meniscectomy vs Chrondroplasty?

Sometimes the coder codes as 29881 and other times 29887? How can I tell when to code which one?

Thanks!

29881 will have a debridement/resection of the 'torn meniscus' while a 29877 will have a debridement of any chondral injury/defect.

So if MD says this which do you code:

"Using a 4.5 agreessive shaver and 4.0 mm upbiting square nose basket, the menisus was trimmed to healthy tissue with a smooth trnsition between normal and abnormal meniscus from the posterior horn to the mid portion"

The unstable cartilage on the femoral condyle was removed with the shaver"

I would want to code 29881, but it was coded as 29877

???
Please help
????

Menisectomy vs Chrondoplasty

Thanks!

Here is a great website for ortho coders. see if your docs have access to this website for future needs. here's their link to a great article.

http://www.aaos.org/news/aaosnow/may12/managing1.asp

Last edited: