Wiki Mesh vs Adhesion Barrier

msmorrison603

Contributor
Best answers
Hello, I am curious if someone can explain the difference to me about mesh vs. administration of adhesion barrier.

Example: Incisional Hernia Repair

Supplement Abdominal Wall with Synthetic Substitute, open approach - 0WUF0JZ

Introduction of Adhesion Barrier into Peritoneal Cavity, open approach - 3E0M05Z

What is the difference in the mesh that is used to supplement the abdominal wall and the adhesion barrier? Can you give me an example of a brand or product name for the adhesion barrier? Is the Mesh in the supplement code also the adhesion barrier? Wouldn't that be upcoding if it is the same?

I hope I was able to convey my questions for all to understand me. Thank you for any help and explanation you can give.

Disclosure: I am not a medical professional so if someone with a stronger medical background wants to weigh it, it would be appreciated.

My understanding of adhesion barriers is that it is inserted during the surgery and then gets slowly absorbed into the body. It is present during the crucial healing period when most adhesions occur. Mesh is a permanent device that is mainly used to keep organs where you want them. There are a few CPT codes for mesh insertion, depending on the type of surgery/function. There is no code for insertion of the temporary adhesion barriers. The names you would see for them is Seprafilm or Interceed.

I hope this helps!

Hello, I am curious if someone can explain the difference to me about mesh vs. administration of adhesion barrier.

Example: Incisional Hernia Repair

Supplement Abdominal Wall with Synthetic Substitute, open approach - 0WUF0JZ

Introduction of Adhesion Barrier into Peritoneal Cavity, open approach - 3E0M05Z

What is the difference in the mesh that is used to supplement the abdominal wall and the adhesion barrier? Can you give me an example of a brand or product name for the adhesion barrier? Is the Mesh in the supplement code also the adhesion barrier? Wouldn't that be upcoding if it is the same?

I hope I was able to convey my questions for all to understand me. Thank you for any help and explanation you can give.

Hi!

Try this site at NIH:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1513975/

This abstract explains the differences and names some names of the different types for mesh and adhesion that are used in hernia repair. It is a start point for you to determine what is what. I go by what the operative report states when I work Inpatient. I code the Whitman Patch most of time. Usually the removal of the patch after initial placement too.

Pay attention to the Root Operation you are looking to code for. PCS Guidelines B.4.8 defines where to look and then you will see what is available in way of adhesion or mesh. The Whitman usually stretches or gets infected and has to be removed at times. I pay attention to Subcutaneous Tissue and Fascia alot. Being a device, directs you to the abdominal wall for placement. Prosthesis. Below are some AHA references:

Coding Clinic, Second Quarter 2011 Page: 18 Effective with discharges: June 24, 2011-mesh
Coding Clinic, First Quarter ICD-10 2014 Pages: 4-5 Effective with discharges: March 31, 2014-abdominal wall
Coding Clinic, First Quarter ICD-10 2014 Pages: 5-6 Effective with discharges: March 31, 2014-incarcerated hernia
Coding Clinic, Fourth Quarter 2013 Pages: 95-96 Effective with discharges: October 21, 2013-mesh and acellular dermal matrix
ICD-10-CM/PCS Coding Clinic, Fourth Quarter ICD-10 2016 Pages: 70-71 Effective with discharges: October 1, 2016-complication coding

Hope you have access to these citations

Good Luck!