• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Modifier 55-Can someone tell me

eyegal55@hotmail.com

Contributor
Best answers
Can someone tell me if we start counting the post op coverage on the date of surgery or do we start one day post op. I have been counting the day of surgery as the first day of the 7 day co-managing period and release to the other physician on the 8th day so they can start billing on that day. I would appreciate the help.

Best answers
i work for an optometrist who does post op for cataract surgeries.... for a 90- global period, we use the day after + 89 to equal our 90 days, so to answer your question, start with the day after.

hope that helps!!

eyegal55@hotmail.com

Contributor
Best answers
MOdifier 55

:confused::confused:I am still a little confused. We do a 7 day post op and the OD bills for the rest. The CPT books say to use the date of surgery as your date of service. If they were to have a complication on the day of surgery or within that 7 days, we would be seeing them. I have been billing ie: Surgery date 6/11/12- 6/11/ would be counted as my first day, the 17th would be my last day and I would release to OD on 6/18/. They would pick up the billing from 6/18 for the rest of the 90 days. Is that wrong, are we billing for too many days?