Wiki Modifier 55-Can someone tell me

eyegal55@hotmail.com

Contributor
Best answers
Can someone tell me if we start counting the post op coverage on the date of surgery or do we start one day post op. I have been counting the day of surgery as the first day of the 7 day co-managing period and release to the other physician on the 8th day so they can start billing on that day. I would appreciate the help.

i work for an optometrist who does post op for cataract surgeries.... for a 90- global period, we use the day after + 89 to equal our 90 days, so to answer your question, start with the day after.

hope that helps!!

MOdifier 55

:confused::confused:I am still a little confused. We do a 7 day post op and the OD bills for the rest. The CPT books say to use the date of surgery as your date of service. If they were to have a complication on the day of surgery or within that 7 days, we would be seeing them. I have been billing ie: Surgery date 6/11/12- 6/11/ would be counted as my first day, the 17th would be my last day and I would release to OD on 6/18/. They would pick up the billing from 6/18 for the rest of the 90 days. Is that wrong, are we billing for too many days?