Wiki Modifier for Incomplete colonoscopy

missyah20

Guru
Best answers
Ok, this has probably been addressed before, but I am hoping someone will help me out. I am billing for the anesthesia portion. The colonoscopy was started but discontinued due to "poor prep." What modifier do I append to the anesthesia charge? Thanks!

53 is for discontinued procedure (I dont do anesthesia billing but that would be the appropriate modifier for the surgeon)

I agree with mbort, -53 is the appropriate modifier.

In my text under anesthesia coding -53 is used when the physician elects to terminate or discontinue a procedure, usually because of risk to the patients well-being.

Hope this helps!

I was just at a workshop today and this very issue came up - we were informed that yes, modifier .53 could be used if the colonoscopy was not completed - however - you could also code a "lesser" code - for example - a sigmoidoscopy "if" at least that much of the procedure was completed. I found that information very interesting! ... Of course documentation would have to support the procedure.

so,...perhaps a little more research on the issue and report to see what would be the best way to code your scenario - modifier .53 vrs. sigmoidoscopy (or whatever).
{that's my opinion on the posted matter}

Thanks All! Modifier 53 is what I was thinking as well, but I wanted to get some other opinions. I am aware of the coding to a sigmoidoscopy it they did go that far, but the modifier thing always seems to confuse me.