Wiki Modifier SA-Can modifier

millbj

Contributor
Best answers
Can modifier SA be used on E/M cpt codes? Does anyone out there use this modifier for NP or PA billing. Any and all information as to how/when to use this modifier is greatly appreciated.

SA Modifier: A supervising physician should use this modifier when billing on behalf of a PA, ANP, of CRNFA for non-surgical services. (Modifier SA is used when the PA, ANP, or CRNFA is assisting with any other procedure that DOES NOT include surgery.) Yes, you need to add the modifier SA to all NP services only (excludes PA services) which are submitted under the physician provider number. - See more at: https://www.supercoder.com/my-ask-a...for-incident-to-services#sthash.CrxV7XTy.dpuf

Supervision of Physician Assistant, Advanced Nurse Practitioner or
Certified Registered Nurse First Assistant
The following modifiers should be used by the supervising physician when he/she is
billing for services rendered by a Physician Assistant, (PA), Advanced Nurse Practitioner
(APN) or Certified Registered Nurse First Assistant (CRNFA):
AS Modifier: A physician should use this modifier when billing on behalf of a PA, ANP
or CRNFA for services provided when the aforementioned providers are acting as an
assistant during surgery. (Modifier AS to be used ONLY if they assist at surgery)
SA Modifier: A supervising physician should use this modifier when billing on behalf of
a PA, ANP, of CRNFA for non-surgical services. (Modifier SA is used when the PA,
ANP, or CRNFA is assisting with any other procedure that DOES NOT include surgery.)

Hope this helps :)

Can anybody tell me if a NP who is in practice for herself and sees a workers compensation patient needs to use a modifier when billing? I am finding most insurances pay but every once in awhile, I get a denial

You will need to contact the WC carrier and ask how they want it billed. Each WC carrier has different ways of going about things, so there's no real "across-the-board" guidelines. Insurers that provide only WC insurance, or auto insurance, or property and casualty insurance are not considered health plans, so they have a lot of wiggle room.

in patient NP visit

SA Modifier: A supervising physician should use this modifier when billing on behalf of a PA, ANP, of CRNFA for non-surgical services. (Modifier SA is used when the PA, ANP, or CRNFA is assisting with any other procedure that DOES NOT include surgery.) Yes, you need to add the modifier SA to all NP services only (excludes PA services) which are submitted under the physician provider number. - See more at: https://www.supercoder.com/my-ask-a...for-incident-to-services#sthash.CrxV7XTy.dpuf

Supervision of Physician Assistant, Advanced Nurse Practitioner or
Certified Registered Nurse First Assistant
The following modifiers should be used by the supervising physician when he/she is
billing for services rendered by a Physician Assistant, (PA), Advanced Nurse Practitioner
(APN) or Certified Registered Nurse First Assistant (CRNFA):
AS Modifier: A physician should use this modifier when billing on behalf of a PA, ANP
or CRNFA for services provided when the aforementioned providers are acting as an
assistant during surgery. (Modifier AS to be used ONLY if they assist at surgery)
SA Modifier: A supervising physician should use this modifier when billing on behalf of
a PA, ANP, of CRNFA for non-surgical services. (Modifier SA is used when the PA,
ANP, or CRNFA is assisting with any other procedure that DOES NOT include surgery.)

Hope this helps :)

Can anyone help me with inpatient hospital billing question. My provider saw the patient 1st day- did progress note, 2nd day NP saw the patient-did progress not. The provider followed there after. Do i drop claim with SA modifier for second day of visit only??