Wiki Mohs and 88321?-I posted this

bbooks

Best answers
I posted this question on the derm board, but haven't gotten any responses yet. Might any of you knowledgeable folks be able to help me with this?

I code for a pathology group, not dermatology, but and my boss asked me to research this question. Can Mohs procedure CPT codes be billed with 88321 (Consultation and report on referred slides prepared elsewhere)? See the example below.

Dr. A biopsies patient, and slides are read and reported. Based on the results, Dr. A refers patient to Dr. B for Mohs surgery.

Situation # 1. Dr. B says, yes, he will see patient for Mohs but he requires he consults on the slides from Dr. A before performing Mohs. Dr. B agrees with recommendation for Mohs and bills for Mohs and 88321.

Situation # 2. Dr. A requests a consultation on the slides from Dr. B and that he proceed with Mohs if he agrees with the diagnosis. Dr. B performs consultation and Mohs on the same day and bills for both.

I found this paragraph in the NCCI Policy Manual for surgery, and wonder if this precludes using Mohs codes and 88321 together.
If a physician reviews pathology slides from previously removed
lesion(s) in association with an evaluation and management (E&M)
service to determine whether additional surgery is required, the
review of the pathology slides is included in the E&M service.
The physician should not report CPT codes 88321-88325 (surgical
pathology consultation) in addition to the E&M code.​