Wiki More than 4 dx codes

esanmiguel

Best answers
How do you handle the claims when you get more than 4 diagnostic codes? The doctor has listed 7 to 8 diagnostic codes and wants to make sure they are all in the claim.

Do you split it into 2 or 3 claims?? Help!:eek:

How do you handle the claims when you get more than 4 diagnostic codes? The doctor has listed 7 to 8 diagnostic codes and wants to make sure they are all in the claim.

Do you split it into 2 or 3 claims?? Help!:eek:

I've had this issue come up where I work but I'm not sure if it is the same capacity as you. Example a pt is seen for a office visit and labs, there could be 4 dx to go with the visit and then the other 3 or 4 go with the labs. I will split the ticket and bill the office visit and then bill the labs separate.

Hope this helps.

I've had this issue come up where I work but I'm not sure if it is the same capacity as you. Example a pt is seen for a office visit and labs, there could be 4 dx to go with the visit and then the other 3 or 4 go with the labs. I will split the ticket and bill the office visit and then bill the labs separate.

Hope this helps.
Thank you - i should have posted an example:

One of the claims has:

738.4 acquired spondylolisthesis
840.8 shoulder sprain
847.1 thoracic sprain
847.0 cervical sprain
784.0 headache
739.1 subluxation 4 levels
728.4 laxity of ligament
738.2 acquired deformity of neck

Then procedure 97014 electrical stimulation, for example, applies to at least 5 of these.

Medicare accepts up to 8 ICD-9 codes per claim.

I am guessing this is a system limitation you are dealing with? If you are submitting claims electronically I would speak with the software vendor if the system doesn't allow for more than 4.

Not sure on paper claims, I haven't dealt with paper claims since '99.

Laura, CPC

Laura is correct that was one of the chages for the new 1500 form so you need to talk to your vendor as you should be able to input 8 electronically.

Debra Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H