Wiki Multiple Ekg's done on the same day

Best answers
Can someone clarify how to bill 4 ekgs done on the same day by the same provider?
I know it needs the 76 modifier.

But can it be billed on 1 line with 4 units?

This is for a SC medicare pt.

I believe they need to be billed one ekg per line and 2nd thru 4th with mod 76. However, somewhere in the back of my mind I vaguely remember 3 in one day is the limit on EKGs.

"It was medically necessary to perform three Transthoracic Echocardiography studies (CPT code 93303) on Mrs. Jones on the same day. In this case the CPT code is reported on three separate lines of the claim—the first occurrence would not include Modifier 76, but the two subsequent lines would each contain the modifier.

Reporting Tip: When using Modifier 76 two (or more) times on the same CPT code for the same date of service, please include an explanation for the multiple repeat services in the comment field of the claim. For example: first repeat EKG at 11:00 AM; second repeat EKG at 3:15 PM. Do not use a modifier 76 on the first service reported for the date of service. "

These are for codes 93010

Right, what I linked was an example of a TTE, but is also mentions the EKG in the second paragraph. Same rules for both situations.

" For example: first repeat EKG at 11:00 AM; second repeat EKG at 3:15 PM. Do not use a modifier 76 on the first service reported for the date of service. " "

Here is the excerpt in greater detail:

"Scenario 2 – Modifier 76 Used to Report Multiple EKGs on the same day
It was medically necessary to perform three Transthoracic Echocardiography studies (CPT code 93303) on Mrs. Jones on the same day. In this case the CPT code is reported on three separate lines of the claim—the first occurrence would not include Modifier 76, but the two subsequent lines would each contain the modifier.

Reporting Tip: When using Modifier 76 two (or more) times on the same CPT code for the same date of service, please include an explanation for the multiple repeat services in the comment field of the claim. For example: first repeat EKG at 11:00 AM; second repeat EKG at 3:15 PM. Do not use a modifier 76 on the first service reported for the date of service.

As we continue our campaign, future articles will focus on the most frequent administrative errors submitted on Medicare Part B claims. We encourage you to watch for and read these articles and then share the articles in your organization as training tools to assist billing professionals in eliminating these errors. It’s a win-win situation for your organization and the Medicare Program when you no longer have to request a CER to correct a billing error allowing you to spend more time and attention on patients and other activities important to your organization."