Wiki Multiple Insect Bites

Community Wiki

This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on AAPC for 30 days and have made 5 posts. Learn More
G
Code: W57.XXXA

Code Name: ICD-10 Code for Bitten or stung by nonvenomous insect and other nonvenomous arthropods, initial encounter

Block: Exposure to animate mechanical forces (W50-W64)

Excludes 1: Toxic effect of contact with venomous animals and plants (T63.-)

Details: Bitten or stung by nonvenomous insect and other nonvenomous arthropods, initial encounter
W57

Excludes1: contact with venomous insects and arthropods (T63.2-, T63.3-, T63.4-)

Guidelines: External causes of morbidity (V00-Y99)

Note: This chapter permits the classification of environmental events and circumstances as the cause of injury, and other adverse effects. Where a code from this section is applicable, it is intended that it shall be used secondary to a code from another chapter of the Classification indicating the nature of the condition. Most often, the condition will be classifiable to Chapter 19 , Injury, poisoning and certain other consequences of external causes (S00-T88). Other conditions that may be stated to be due to external causes are classified in Chapters I to XVIII. For these conditions, codes from Chapter 20 should be used to provide additional information as to the cause of the condition.

For more details on W57.XXXA, ICD-10 Code for Bitten or stung by nonvenomous insect and other nonvenomous arthropods, initial encounter , visit: https://coder.aapc.com/icd-10-codes/

nkrush12

Contributor
Best answers
Help! I work in a dermatology clinic and have several questions about ICD10 coding for multiple insect bites.

The current ICD9 code 919.4 (insect bite, nonvenomous, w/o mention of infection; other multiple and unspecified sites) when I use the GEM or other crosswalk it gives me ICD10 code T07 (unspecified multiple injuries)

Is this correct? I know the type of injury (insect bite) just multiple sites. I would think that the correct codes would be to code each location of the insect bite (SXX)

ecatelo

New
Best answers
ICD-10 Insect Bite

I don't think it would be the T07 since this code specifically reads "unspecified multiple injuries" and the injury (insect bite) IS specified. I would go with the T14.8 for other injury of unspecified body region. (If the condition is all over the body- otherwise, I would code all the sites.)

I also have another insect bite question. If a patient comes in with an infected insect bite of the right ankle, would you code S90.561A, L08.9 AND W57.XXXA? Or would It just be the local infection L08.9 and the insect bite external cause W57.XXXA leaving out the S90.561A? Is coding all three proper or repetitive? Thank you!

Best answers
INSECT BITE, multiple sites

So has anyone actually answered your question? I agree that T07 is not the best option but we are having the same issue at our pediatric practice. Ex: mosquito bites over the entire body. ICD10 doesn't have enough spaces for the dx code, even if you only pick the body part "by region".

Thanx, Tammy