Multiple Insect Bites

nkrush12

Networker
Best answers
Help! I work in a dermatology clinic and have several questions about ICD10 coding for multiple insect bites.

The current ICD9 code 919.4 (insect bite, nonvenomous, w/o mention of infection; other multiple and unspecified sites) when I use the GEM or other crosswalk it gives me ICD10 code T07 (unspecified multiple injuries)

Is this correct? I know the type of injury (insect bite) just multiple sites. I would think that the correct codes would be to code each location of the insect bite (SXX)

ICD-10 Insect Bite

I don't think it would be the T07 since this code specifically reads "unspecified multiple injuries" and the injury (insect bite) IS specified. I would go with the T14.8 for other injury of unspecified body region. (If the condition is all over the body- otherwise, I would code all the sites.)

I also have another insect bite question. If a patient comes in with an infected insect bite of the right ankle, would you code S90.561A, L08.9 AND W57.XXXA? Or would It just be the local infection L08.9 and the insect bite external cause W57.XXXA leaving out the S90.561A? Is coding all three proper or repetitive? Thank you!

INSECT BITE, multiple sites

So has anyone actually answered your question? I agree that T07 is not the best option but we are having the same issue at our pediatric practice. Ex: mosquito bites over the entire body. ICD10 doesn't have enough spaces for the dx code, even if you only pick the body part "by region".

Thanx, Tammy