• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Important Note: We will be performing important server maintenance on 15 July 2020 , during which time this site will be unavailable for approximately 2 hours. If you are in the middle of something critical , please save your work. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Question multiple telephone only appts

misstigris

Networker
Best answers
What would you do in this scenario? I have a provider that has done phone only visits with a patient every 5 days. Since guidelines for phone only services state "They may not be provided if they are in follow-up for a visit within the past 7 days, or if they result in a visit in the next 24 hours, or next available appointment " would you code and submit the first visit (ex: DOS 5/1) , not bill for the second (ex: DOS 5/6 because its only 5 days from the first visit) then bill the third phone call (ex DOS 5/11) etc etc?

misstigris

Networker
Best answers
That is what I originally thought, but then I started receiving denials from Medicare due to frequency? According to CPT, 99441-99443 are telephone evaluation & management services that cannot be originating from a related E/m service within the previous 7 days. Since 99441-99443 are E/M services it would make sense the reason for the denials. Do you have anything that states differently? Or are you getting paid from payors for multiple phone calls billed within a 7 day period?

Last edited: